Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same swap but, it looks like you have to swap the driveshaft too. Papasmf, did you ever get this swap done?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I wouldn't swap to a T56 personally.

The MT-82 has much better ratios for day to day driving and overall performance. It's a close ratio 5 speed with an overdrive 6th. 1 through 4 are underdrive, 5th is direct, 6th is over. On a T56, it's a wide ratio 4 speed with dual over drives, 1 through 3 are underdrive, 4th is direct, 5th is a shorter OD (.8:1 in our version I believe) and 6th is "double" over of .62 or .63 I think. Since the top OD gear is the economy gear, the shorter OD is practically useless and the less ideal ratios of the other three underdriven gears will give you reduced performance.

I'd swap in the 2015 transmission and get your original transmission rebuilt as a spare. It'll swap directly, hell, I can swap the MT-82 into my 1997 Thunderbird if I wanted to, without any cutting or modification other than adding in the clutch/brake pedal assembly from an 89-93 SuperCoupe 5speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, i'm looking to swap an mt82 out of a 2015. What I've found so far is, the 2015 tranny has a 3-bolt output flange where as the 2012 has a 4-bolt flange. I know the 2015 has an IRS so now i'm wondering if the mounting to the rear axle is also different.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The 2 advantages of going with a t56 is the direct shifter and 700 ft lb torque capacity. If youre not making big power its probably not worth it unless you cant stand the remote shifter. Im getting close lol, though Im referring to the tr3650.

I hate the fact it has double overdrive but with 4.10s or higher you will be around where 1-3 are in an mt82 and thats all that matters at the strip anyway. Even on the streets it would be ok with the right setup. Its the same transmission as a tr6060 used in the gt500.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts