Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still kinda "makin' her mine" after recently purchasing my 02 GT. New wheels and tires will be here this week =)

the second thing to do is new mufflers. The previous owner had the Flowmaster American Thunder catback installed, but there are no mufflers on the car right now, just 2 curved muffler delete pipes. Needless to say, it sounds SO bad even with the stock H pipe. I feel like i'm driving a motorboat.

Anyway, I'm going to get a couple mufflers welded in soon and I was wondering if I should go with something besides the flowmaster 44's. Can anyone tell me how much quieter the Super 44's or 40's would be than my catback straight pipes? I know they are loud mufflers but I have a feeling it still might be 50% as loud as what it is now.

I was really leaning towards Magnaflows for their quiet but pleasing tone. I have also heard there is no drone and minimal cabin resonance. Is this true? I do want something on the quiet side after driving with these awful straight pipes for a month but I don't want to silence that beautiful V8 sound. How about dynomax super turbos??

The other thing I'm considering in the decision is how it would affect my mileage (MPG). I read Flowmasters will be better for this than Magnaflows, although I don't know why? If it's only going to be a 1 MPG difference I'll just make the decision based on the sound.

LASTLY, just wanted to double check that the American Thunder catback requires 2.5" offset/offset mufflers. Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Honestly make your decision on mufflers on what ever sound you like. Also the mpg shouldn't change with a simple muffler install

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also go to YouTube and see all the different exhaust set ups and make a desicion based on that

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
magnaflow will be alittle quieter than 44's but will sound better,and you will be alittle quieter with the mufflers in stead of the delete pipes...you should also check out mac performance

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided on some mac flowpaths. The non-SS one's still have a 50,000 mile warranty and are only $60 a piece so I think i'll just pick up a couple of those.

Will the fact that my tailpipes are Flowmaster affect the sound at all. My guess is no, and muffler is really what determines your exhaust tone from the midpipe back. Catback pipes are catback pipes, yea?

Lastly, does anyone know exactly what size mufflers go in the American Thunder catback exhaust for 99-04 GT's? I think it is 2.5" offset/offset?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
yeah its 2.5 offset/offset.a muffler will change your sound a decent amount but your mid pipe is what really changes the sound and tone...i am really happy with my macs

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Still kinda "makin' her mine" after recently purchasing my 02 GT. New wheels and tires will be here this week =)

the second thing to do is new mufflers. The previous owner had the Flowmaster American Thunder catback installed, but there are no mufflers on the car right now, just 2 curved muffler delete pipes. Needless to say, it sounds SO bad even with the stock H pipe. I feel like i'm driving a motorboat.

Anyway, I'm going to get a couple mufflers welded in soon and I was wondering if I should go with something besides the flowmaster 44's. Can anyone tell me how much quieter the Super 44's or 40's would be than my catback straight pipes? I know they are loud mufflers but I have a feeling it still might be 50% as loud as what it is now.

I was really leaning towards Magnaflows for their quiet but pleasing tone. I have also heard there is no drone and minimal cabin resonance. Is this true? I do want something on the quiet side after driving with these awful straight pipes for a month but I don't want to silence that beautiful V8 sound. How about dynomax super turbos??

The other thing I'm considering in the decision is how it would affect my mileage (MPG). I read Flowmasters will be better for this than Magnaflows, although I don't know why? If it's only going to be a 1 MPG difference I'll just make the decision based on the sound.

LASTLY, just wanted to double check that the American Thunder catback requires 2.5" offset/offset mufflers. Thanks!
FallingReason,
We constantly get customers who install straight pipes and find out they are too loud and reduce low-end power…then they install Flowmaster mufflers and regain that power. Installing 40’s or 44’s in place of straight pipes will cut down, but it’s hard to tell how much without a video.
Don’t forget to check out Hushpower mufflers if you don’t like the sound of the traditional Flowmaster chambered muffler.
Hushpower Video

1 - 7 of 7 Posts