Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's my situation. I bought a universal muffler the other day to put on my car so I could get it inspected, turns out universal with a 2.5 inlet doesn't fit the inlet of our 2.25. My fault, I wasn't thinking.

I get the inlet problem, but the guy at the shop was saying something about offset. What exactly is the offset on our cars? Where can I find an incredibly cheap muffler that will fit, and that you are SURE will fit. I can't take any chances. I am 2 months out of inspection and need to get this done.

Also, another little problem. In Texas, not sure if its just here or not, cars MUST have a tailpipe coming out the back of the car. I thought you could run turn downs, as trucks are aloud to in Texas, but not cars. How much would bending pipes to make tailpipes cost at a local shop?

Thanks,
Jake

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
weld in the 2.5

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy said it wouldn't fit, and he said it was to long, when it was clearly shorted than the stock muffler.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
offset (f) is the variation of the inlet(i) and outlet(o)... there is also center (c)

you can have different variations for example

i c, o f
or
i c, o c
or
i f, o f

so there are different ways ... your muffler shop can tell you the set up you need, if they can't go to a new shop

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy hear in my small town isn't to sure what he's talking about I think...haha.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
wouldnt fit??? cut off some of your tail pipe then, guys a dumbass find someone new

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
im gettin the knock off flowmasters on my stang on monday... not sure wut they r called tho

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
what does your current set up look like??

is it just a straight pipe at the moment?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
then you need a straight muffler with center offset on both sides to replace it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts