Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seems a pretty stupid question but I had a hell of an argument with a co-workers about the fact that I consider Mustangs, Camaros... as sport cars even though they are known as Muscle cars...He said that I need to educate myself and that Muscle cars are not considered, by someone who knows cars (and according to him I don't...) as sport cars... What do you guys think???

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
hmmmm well I always thought of the old stangs, ol gtos, ol chevelles as muscle cars the ones with an ass load of TQ n HP to back it up and was only good in a straight line. sports cars i think of newer cars that have considerable hp n tq but can also handle ok on the road or track and or just a 2 door, reasonable power, with the sporty looks. :dunno never really boggeled my mind over this ?. lol

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
A sports car is an automobile designed for performance driving. Most sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats, two doors, and are designed for more precise handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. A sports car's dominant considerations can be superior road handling, braking, maneuverability, low weight, and high power, rather than passenger space, comfort, and fuel economy.

A muscle car is an automobile with a high horse power engine, modest weight, capable of producing high levels of acceleration. The term principally refers to American, Australian and South African models and generally describes a 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful V8 engine and special trim, intended for maximum torque on the street or in drag racing competition

so depending on the type of car, it can actually be considered both...however when people think of sports cars, most of them have lambos or ferraris or some high dollar exotic car that comes to mind, and when people think muscle car, they think of an older american made car like camaros, mustangs, corvettes, chevelles, chargers, challengers, you know the classics

so u just gotta go by the definition

however IMO i would have to lean towards camaros and mustangs and cars like that being muscle car decendents(v8's that is...v6's are neither sporty or have any muscle stock :p)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
You know whats funny... the older muscle cars still accelerate slower than a stock 99-04 gt. new edges do it in the 5.4-5.9 0-60 range... older ones go 6sec-8sec

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
It depends on the car, manic. No stock New Edge would have touched my 70' 383 Cuda.
yeah i agree, it greatly depends on the car, there are so many old muscle cars that would put the new edge GT to shame...so much for 40 years of technology :p

id like to see a new GT get lucky enough to read my liscence plate :D

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Your insurance company calls it a sports car!!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
'69 Dodge coronet for instrance does like 0-60 in 6.5 or so but its quarter is mid -low 14s. pretty quick for a 3700 lb 'boat'

1 - 20 of 41 Posts