Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was out cruising today, stopped in a parking lot to smoke a cig and i turn off my stang, take the keys out and smoke my cig, get back in and go to turn the key and nothing happens, i turn it the whole way and nothing, didnt even try to turn over
my lights wouldnt come on, windows wouldn't work, no four ways, the doors wouldnt even lock or unlock
so i tried and tried, 15 minutes later still nothing, i noticed i had my cell phone car charger plugged in so i unplugged it, waited a few minutes and it started right up
was having the car charger plugged in draining my battery enough to keep things from running or is there some other electrical problem going on here?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Look at your wires, I had the exact same problem and when I changed the wires it didnt happen again. But thats how I fixed my problem. And I wouldnt think that it would drain your battery completely dead.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's very strange, I wonder if the wires to the cigarette lighter are grounding onto something, or melted to another wire. Does it happen every time you plug in the phone charger?

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
it was your battery's connection terminals... the most likely a little loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very strange, I wonder if the wires to the cigarette lighter are grounding onto something, or melted to another wire. Does it happen every time you plug in the phone charger?
well im not really sure i had the charger in all day and after i unplugged it and got the car to start i haven't plugged it back in

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
so i was out cruising today, stopped in a parking lot to smoke a cig and i turn off my stang, take the keys out and smoke my cig, get back in and go to turn the key and nothing happens, i turn it the whole way and nothing, didnt even try to turn over
my lights wouldnt come on, windows wouldn't work, no four ways, the doors wouldnt even lock or unlock
so i tried and tried, 15 minutes later still nothing, i noticed i had my cell phone car charger plugged in so i unplugged it, waited a few minutes and it started right up
was having the car charger plugged in draining my battery enough to keep things from running or is there some other electrical problem going on here?
That depends on how long you were smoking the cig, I have short on my car, and it dies after 30 min but the weird thing is that it only does it twice a month....

How long were you running the car before the drain? cuz prolly you already had the short and you didnt gave enough time to the alternator to charge the battery, also check your connections make sure they're clean and as said could be loose terminals try moving them with your hand if you're able to move them tight them....

I had loose terminals once I just heard a big pop after trying to start it.....

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Check your fuses, and check your wires, and battery terminals. Chances are your battery isn't drained. Since the engine wouldn't even crank I would think it would be a bad connection(as a last option), possible blown fuse, or your wires are fubared to your cig lighter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That depends on how long you were smoking the cig, I have short on my car, and it dies after 30 min but the weird thing is that it only does it twice a month....

How long were you running the car before the drain? cuz prolly you already had the short and you didnt gave enough time to the alternator to charge the battery, also check your connections make sure they're clean and as said could be loose terminals try moving them with your hand if you're able to move them tight them....

I had loose terminals once I just heard a big pop after trying to start it.....
well this was around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and i had been at driving all day
i haven't had any problems since and i've left me cellphone charger unplugged unless the car was left running, so im think from having it plugged in ALL DAY it killed my battery, cuz i let the car sit at Dunkin Donuts for over an hour before i drove it for 5 minutes then it died when i got out

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Try charging the phone using the other one next to the handbrake or the one that you werent using the first time, see if it does the same or it helps..... Some people use the one on the stereo to connect something else like me, dunno what but when I took it out someone had messed with the wires, then I broke a clip and is not working anymore :( ......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts