Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to pick your brains for information.

Please allow me to introduce myself. I was a "Mopar Man" growing up. However, in 1996 (when I was 24) I purchased a Ford Taurus SHO (which I still have). I absolutely fell in love with this car, and subsequently Ford as well.

Since then I've had a number of Ford products, and as of now I still have the 1994 SHO, in addition to a 1998 Taurus SHO (told you I loved them :D), a 2006 Ford Taurus SE, and my battlewagon, a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel.

Now, through all these years I sat back and admired the Mustangs, and in particular the Mustang Cobra. What a beautiful automobile. The first ones I started to admire were the 1996's and 1997's. Unfortunately, life circumstances (i.e. children) prevented me from ever owning one.

Well, now the opportunity may have presented itself for me to finally own one. My beloved 94 SHO is limping badly, so my son is now taking over my 98 SHO. My wife drives the 2006 Taurus, and the Excursion is much too BIG to be an everyday driver (especially with 4 dollar a gallon diesel :mad:).

So, I am looking at Mustang Cobras. I've been on several auto sites, Ebay, etc looking, pricing...etc.

So, I am asking that you Cobra experts provide me with any and all expertise and insight you have. I noticed that this forum divides the years of the Mustangs according to "PI" engines. Is this something that I should really pay attention to when considering years? (I'm looking at anywhere from 1996 to 2002, depending on what I can find. Not a big fan of the new Mustang look.).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, any suggestions, all knowledge, whatever you can provide. I apologize in advance that this is so long, but I was trying to convey how seriously I am in this regards. Thanks!!

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
welcome. you should try to post this in the 4v/svt forum because thats the section for cobras.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
It depends on what you have to spend. What price are you willing to spend? 2003 and 2004 Cobras aka Terminators you'll have to pay a pretty penny for. 99 and 01 Cobras roughly 12 grand and lower years obviously less. BTW 03 and 04s came with the Eaton supercharger and have substantially more power than all other model year Cobras.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome. you should try to post this in the 4v/svt forum because thats the section for cobras.

Thank You drazga...I skimmed right over that subgroup and didn't even notice. I'll copy this and post it there.

BTW HMU, that is exactly what my 94 SHO looks like, minus the tires of course!! ;^)

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
no problem... they should have it 4v/svt/cobra anyways because not everyone associates svt and 4v with cobras.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
PI thing is only for 2v cars.

96-98 Cobras will be the cheapest to get into, still have the straight axle, and have the "worst" of the 4v heads; I have one of these :)

99 Cobras goes to IRS, motor gets improved heads (better torque down low), the new heads have a cooling issue on one bank, and the halfshafts are a little weak.

2000 is only the Cobra R, good luck on finding one ;) absolutely the most badass mustang ever in my opinion, certainly the best N/A Mustang Ford ever built.

01 Cobras had some power issues, recall should have fixed that.

No 02 Cobras due to above issues, and preperation for '03s

'03/'04 Cobras are Terminator Cars, have supercharged iron-block 4.6 rated at 390hp, simple pulley swap (blower pulley from lightning) makes ~430 rwhp (give or take)

No Cobras until '07 Ford SVT Shelby Cobra GT-500, supercharged iron-block 5.4L, back to straight axle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for moving the thread mods..

drazga...as I said, being a noobie to the Mustangs I've not even sure what you mean by "4v". Is that 4 valves per cylinder?

I know that every Cobra I've looked at so far has been a "SVT". I just assumed that the "SVT" referred to an option or performance package.

In any event, that's why I'm here, need to research before I buy.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
NP

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great intel Rev...thanks.

Question....in your opinion (and anybody else's) is there really that big of difference between the 96-98 Cobras and the 99 Cobras?

I mean, is the performance that much better to pay the difference in money? (assuming everything else is relatively equal like condition, mileage, etc.).

BTW...you just answered for me why I haven't seen any 2000 Cobras in my searches...:)

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
2v = 2 valves per cylinder, i.e. SOHC cars (GTs)
4v = 4 valves per cylinder, i.e DOHC cars (Cobras, Mach 1s)

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
svt=special vehicle team (ford)

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
We should have this information rewritten and stickied for future reference.

Reactions: drazga97

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
+1 good call mach boy

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Might as well add the Mach to the list since it is essentially a Cobra as well.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
and goals

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sorry guys...didn't mean to be the "noob". I appreciate the info though.

If anybody can give me their opinion on the 96-98 Cobras vs. the 99 Cobra I would appreciate it.

I have found a 1998 SVT Cobra with 57,000 miles for $13,000 which I bet I could get for less. Beautiful looking car IMHO.

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts