Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We still aren't sure what happened or what is wrong... two things we do know... 1. blew out a Cometic head gasket and 2. there is a major tic coming from inside the motor.
the compression is good on all except #8 due to the blown gasket... the car still runs fine just makes a cloud when you start it... the engine comes out tomorrow and should be at the machine shop by friday..
We are going get rid of the methanol system and put the twin GT500 fuel system into it... also going with a GT500 clutch.. new rings and seals where needed... going to rebuild the blower while it is down too...
I am just glad I got to run it all summer at the strip and it will be even faster when we get done with it... did I mention N02 wet 200 shot.. well we are still talking about that... but 700+ rwhp would be kinda nice

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I so knew it was coming.... 1.65 60' launches and 11.5 runs were going to be too much.. I think the guys that built it last time did a pretty good job but this time my nephew is on it and I won't have any worries about the value I am getting... thinking of going twin disc clutch...

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's an awesome setup you have. I'm sure you are looking forward to the refresh and getting her back on the strip!

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I wasn't ever real sure about the methanol injection vs the upgraded fuel system.. we are pretty sure thats what caused the damage.. it overloaded with meth and vapor locked a cylinder and we don't know why... but some friends that watched the run said it was chugging black smoke badly.. you also have to take into account that I am sitting at 4200ish lbs and still lack suspension... and the clutch (spec 3)was a POS from the get go... any one need a low mile one pm me and we will work something out.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Just a question but why do you feel that 11.6Xs on your setup was bound to break things? To me i wouldnt think that was working that engine at ALL.

I have to agree... if it was on stock bottom end, yea... built bottom end...

Im going to have to say... it seems to be cheaper to go through a used stock bottom end every year, than burn the $ on a 'built' bottom end.

GT500 or Die!

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
well I wasn't ever real sure about the methanol injection vs the upgraded fuel system.. we are pretty sure thats what caused the damage.. it overloaded with meth and vapor locked a cylinder and we don't know why... but some friends that watched the run said it was chugging black smoke badly.. you also have to take into account that I am sitting at 4200ish lbs and still lack suspension... and the clutch (spec 3)was a POS from the get go... any one need a low mile one pm me and we will work something out.
Gotcha. Well good luck

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
upgrade to a turbo, and i'll give you some nice engine internals for a new build!!! LOL j/k your a stroker guy anyways............sorry to hear about the luck man. You'll get it back together and better than ever. MAKE SURE IT HAS ENOUGH FUEL TO FEED IT!!!

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That won't be a problem with the twin GT500 pumps... I thought they did something special to the rod bearings when I built it but they were just a high quality OEM replacement... I really run the car hard and I don't think a stock bottom end would have lasted through all the good and bad runs I made this summer... lets face it... it is a race car that just happens to be a stock looking vert.. racing is expensive but the feeling of making a perfect pass or beating someone who is faster is #2 on my top ten best feeling list...

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
We still aren't sure what happened or what is wrong... two things we do know... 1. blew out a Cometic head gasket and 2. there is a major tic coming from inside the motor.
the compression is good on all except #8 due to the blown gasket... the car still runs fine just makes a cloud when you start it... the engine comes out tomorrow and should be at the machine shop by friday..
We are going get rid of the methanol system and put the twin GT500 fuel system into it... also going with a GT500 clutch.. new rings and seals where needed... going to rebuild the blower while it is down too...
I am just glad I got to run it all summer at the strip and it will be even faster when we get done with it... did I mention N02 wet 200 shot.. well we are still talking about that... but 700+ rwhp would be kinda nice
You running Brisk plugs or Autolite HT0's? Not pertinent to your issue...just curious.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a Champion plug in there but I have run all three... didn't really notice a difference. I had an issue with my meth injection coming on too early and was killing all of the best plugs for these cars till they figured it out... If I do set her up with a shot then my choice would be the Brisk because they lasted the longest under very bad conditions

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I had a Champion plug in there but I have run all three... didn't really notice a difference. I had an issue with my meth injection coming on too early and was killing all of the best plugs for these cars till they figured it out... If I do set her up with a shot then my choice would be the Brisk because they lasted the longest under very bad conditions
Eggsellent...that is what I wanted to hear. Ordering some Brisks tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
but 700+ rwhp would be kinda nice
Have you considered the triple pump system?

Stock intake manifold does not do a very good job of distributing the meth evenly between cylinders (not designed for that). Some run rich while others lean. It happened to us and others. That was the main reason we switched to an intake manifold that was built, with this issue in mind. We were at 25+ lbs boost when our motor let go, so our damage was likely more severe. Like you...excellent op to rebuild stronger and better.

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
He's running a Kenne Blower so he's running their custom intake manifold. Stock one is gathering dust somewhere, I presume like mine.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
how are you going to get a 200 shot in there?

Oh and do you know how long i stared at your build wanting to see gt 500 pumps go in your car. finally, good luck with the tear down

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I heard that from alot of people... on forums and the street. When they built my car the last time they were thinking it would make over 600 but it ended up at 545... the Methanol injection was pretty much un needed at that point but it was bought and paid for and on the car...
I ws talking to them today and we still aren't sure which clutch to throw in there... thinking about the GT500 or a center force dual friction...
the n2o was for next year but we are thinking about it.. might try to use the ports where the meth gos in now.. in the front of the intake..
if anyone wants a spec3 for the strip, prepare to be disappointed

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
ill let you know how long mine lasts

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
holds great till it gets hot.... have you run it at the strip yet?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts