Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You dont have someone that can start up the car once in a while? If not than you should add a fuel and oil stabilizer and disconnect the battery. Other than that, theres not much you can do. I doubt that it will get messed up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If possible pull wheels and tires off and put it on jackstands so the tires don't flatspot

·
Registered
229 Posts
Deploying for over a year just wondering how bad my car is going to be messed up from not being able to start it for over a year
In the same situation but I'm going to basic and tech school. From what I've gathered, put fuel stabilizer in it put it on jackstands and I'm going to get a california car cover and maybe throw some damp rids in it.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It was a long time ago, but I was told to pull the plugs and put a little oil in the cylinders. I had a 440 ci Dodge. Although they were suppose to, no one started the car while I was gone. Three valves froze to the cylinder heads. I bent the pushrods trying to start the car. I had only three week to report to my next duty station and I spent all of the time getting the car running.

I really think if you are going to leave it sit that long you had better fully prep the car for storage. And, that takes more than fuel and oil stabilizer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think a big variable is WHERE it is being stored (insdie, outside, heated, humidity control?). I store my boat every year for about 7 months and have no issues. Put in fresh oil, fuel stabilizer, and spray some engine fogger into it while it's running to coat all the intake/enternals. Haven't tried that with a FI car though.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Also, I'd seal off the tailpipes so small woodland creatures can't crawl up there and die - the airbox is also tempting for them as well. I almost bought a Montero that wouldn't start after being parked for a while- there was a dead rat in the air box. The guy who owned it put rat poison in the engine compartment for that very reason. Car ran fine after that :)

Definitely get a cover, thats a good write-up posted above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts