Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Affordable V6 Sports Coupe Shootout
by David Pratte

If you’re in the market for a rear-wheel drive V6-powered sports coupe that won’t break the bank while allowing you to get your track-day jollies on the weekends, chances are you’re going to end up in the exact same predicament we did. Tasty German options like BMW’s 1M are just too spendy for our “average Joe” $30k-or-so budget, and the requirement for at least a semi-usable backseat ruled out potentially attractive Japanese options like the Nissan 370Z.

This left us with two legit V6 track-day coupes to pit against each other in another of our classic head-to-head battles. Up first is Hyundai’s recently refreshed Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track model with all the R-Spec goodies ranging from a track-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes, a Torsen limited-slip differential and 19-inch wheels with sticky performance tires. And the contender is Ford’s newly released Performance Package equipped Mustang V6 Premium, which for an extra $1,995 comes complete with a larger front sway bar, SVT rear sway bar, stiffer springs, unique brakes with upgraded pads, a 3.31 rear axle and 19-inch wheels with Pirelli summer tires.

This comparo was made all the more intriguing by the fact that these two machines are at opposite ends of the spectrum with respect to styling, the Genesis being an entirely modern take on the sports coupe, while the Mustang’s retro sheet metal is designed to tug at the heart strings and high school fantasies of the midlife crisis crowd (and anyone else with a Pony car fetish).

THE SAME, BUT DIFFERENT

Regardless of their opposing design philosophies, both are equipped with high-output naturally aspirated V6 engines and 6-speed manual gearboxes, tip the scales at around 3500 lbs, and are packaged with firmer suspensions, bigger brakes and stickier tires so that you can literally drive them off the showroom floor and onto the race track. And that’s exactly what we’ve done (ok, we borrowed them rather than buying them, but you get the picture).

We didn’t drive them onto just any race track, either. We headed to Mosport International Raceway (recently renamed Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), one of the fastest and most daunting road courses on North American soil. With the cup holders emptied and the camera crew in place, it was time for Editor-in-Chief Colum Wood and I to man up, because turning hot enough laps around this circuit to properly evaluate these two very capable track-day specials was going to take equal parts focus and commitment.
Read the complete Ford Mustang vs Hyundai Genesis Coupe comparo at AutoGuide.com

·
13 v6
20 Posts
It's funny because i have smoked a 13 genesis... I reached my speed limiter and then he pulled away... The only thing i have done is an exhaust and different wheels

·
Hot rod Stang
550 Posts
Time to buy a tuner if you have the proper tires, I need two more and I'm pulling the
trigger for a tuner!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Their comparing the track car to a v6 mustang thats 26k vs 33k if they want to be fair get the one with same price range throw the 5.0 out there and see who wins if they want Hyundai Track car vs mustang track car throw the Boss 302 out there and see who wins. Idk why but i cant stand hyundai my brother got one and i beat him all the time

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I think they would have a different opinion of the V-6 Mustang if the top speed limiter was removed. The limiter has really messed up high speed track test on a lot of tracks. Sad to see and read about this crap. I'm happy my top speed limiter is REMOVED :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
What they don't really address is that if you buy the Hyundai, you'll own a Hyundai. And that's the best reason to buy our V6 Mustang.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This test is invalid. you tested a $33,000 car vs a $26,000 car. If this is really a bang for your buck test then you would have to test the 5.0 and we all know that the 5.0 will eat the hyundai alive. Furthermore, my 3.7 mustang will still be running 10 years from now, that Hyundai will have long before been sent to the scrap yard. And lets not forget that the mustang has a MUCH higher resale value and a much larger after market selection... and for those of you removing your limiter, the stock drive shaft has been known to snap under extremely high torque, push too hard and your going to be in a world of hurt

·
Registered
491 Posts
This test is invalid. you tested a $33,000 car vs a $26,000 car. If this is really a bang for your buck test then you would have to test the 5.0 and we all know that the 5.0 will eat the hyundai alive. Furthermore, my 3.7 mustang will still be running 10 years from now, that Hyundai will have long before been sent to the scrap yard. And lets not forget that the mustang has a MUCH higher resale value and a much larger after market selection... and for those of you removing your limiter, the stock drive shaft has been known to snap under extremely high torque, push too hard and your going to be in a world of hurt
I can't say for the longer term (10+ years), but Mustang resale value is one of the poorest in the industry for short team, in my experience. Just feel it has to be said.

And with that said, refreshed or not, my 2011 put a 2012/13 2.0T down in 5 back to back rollouts and a single light. Poor guy says he was still new to car and dropped the clutch too hard at the light, but my two passengers (to his none) vouch that his engine was a continuous rampup every time, even as I slammed against rev limit in 2nd, slowing to listen/look if he was still giving chase.

One of my passengers had recently just picked up his own 2012 3.7L after I'd told him "Enjoy your Mustang" and explained my reasoning when he'd told me he was in the market for a 20-25k RWD coupe (this was when BRZ/FR-S's were still extreme preorders). I'd more or less been debating the same thing in a roughly identical market two years prior, and had a lot of insight/personal experience on the subject.

After the noise and smells cleared after the light: "I'm glad I chose the right car." Still gives my ego a stroke.

At 28k dollars today, the Genesis is a pretty damned decent car. But before that point, the 3.7L Mustang makes a better car. And you get money left over for mods. After 30k now, 5.0 every time; Unless you put $10k into the 3.7L. Then it's personal preference, though we know every V8 fan begs to differ.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pretty much same logic I used. If I was going to spend over $30k, the 5.0 was the clear winner. Under that amount was the 3.7. Even looking at the C&D LL numbers, the 3.7 punches above its weight. Sure it's not the fastest, but it can handle well. I was really surprised when I read a comparo between our v6 and a BRZ. Even as the 3.7 bested the BRZ in every category, the reviewer still picked the BRZ. Those reviewers maybe start out with a balanced opinion, but as their careers progress, te more into lala land they go.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Time to buy a tuner if you have the proper tires, I need two more and I'm pulling the
trigger for a tuner!
Not just tires, you will need to upgrade your drive shaft if you're planning on going above 130mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts