Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what people will post on here. Im also curious cause I am wondering what I can get away with.

I love this state but making real power is hard with all the emissions stuff.

My focus has been mostly suspension as I run a multi make car club and like to hang with the rest of the crew in the bends. Here is my parts list:

H&R Street Performance coilovers
Eibach Sway Bars (eventually will be swapped for whitline)
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
J&M Caster Camber Plates
J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar
MGW Short Shifter
JLT CAI
Bassani X Pipe
Bassani Axle Back
91 Octane Race Tune by Bama
Various Cosmetic bits and pieces (billet grille, trucarbon hood, cdc chin spoiler etc)

Coming Soon

Whiteline Watts Link
Front brake swap for 2012 GT front rotors (1.1" upgrade for about 100 bucks)

I would love to build more power, but cams and longtubes and the like wont pass smog and the jump to a supercharger or turbo set up is a lot of money.

So yea, im curious how you guys have been building your mustangs.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Suspension and cosmetics.

It's been a long time since I lived in California but you had to know somebody in order to mod your car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may end up trying to registering my car in a county that doesnt require smog. I know my uncles 9-3 aero is registerred at his cabin way up in the north of the state and he has plenty of non smog legal work done.

Meh it just sucks that its so hard to make NA power here. Either have to pony up for FI which given the price of the parts and then labor can be like a 10k job. And i wouldnt mind a 5.0 but even with selling my car and such i cant afford it :(

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Yeah, and back in he day if you could get your car to run good enough and pass a sniffer test you were good to go. I haven't modded a car in Cali for over 20 years.

·
NOR*CAL's FINEST
772 Posts
I do what ever I want. You cant really buy yourself a smog tech anymore, at least its a lot harder, because of the risk they take. They're are loopholes though, if you know how to find them, but still risky

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I may end up trying to registering my car in a county that doesnt require smog. I know my uncles 9-3 aero is registerred at his cabin way up in the north of the state and he has plenty of non smog legal work done.

Meh it just sucks that its so hard to make NA power here. Either have to pony up for FI which given the price of the parts and then labor can be like a 10k job. And i wouldnt mind a 5.0 but even with selling my car and such i cant afford it :(
Oh I didnt see this post, yeah thats exactly what you do, Ive used a po box as my physical for years anyway and Im only like 70 miles from Tahoe which is a transfer of title only county, if you have family in a county like that then its perfect, otherwise use a po

·
Registered
276 Posts
I live in California and I have the basics. Axel-back exhaust, Steeda intake with a tune, and a bunch of aesthetic mods.

The only time I ever ran into trouble was when I got my smog done, I had to revert the car to stock and put the stock airbox back on. Other than that, It's not like a cop is going to pull me over and ask to pop the hood, see the intake and impound my car haha.

Generally speaking, as long as you can pass smog somehow, you're fine. I'm happy with an intake & tune, even if it means going back to stock for 1 hour every 2 years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I never understood California's smog laws... maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but if you can run headers, after market high flow cats and still pass the sniff test why fail you on the visual? whats the big deal if you're running after market intakes, headers and such if it's not causing the car to put out more emissions than it should?

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is all about $$$$$ for this shitty state. Those companies don't opt to pay the fee to get a C.A.R.B E.O. number so they aren't legal for use or sale on CA street vehicles. Totally ****ing stupid. I have a 1986 Chevy K10 shortbed 4x4 I just restored back to stock. New catm exhaust, street legal headers, manifold, carb, smog pump and all the emissions crap. It passed the sniffer test fine. I failed because my timing was 12 degrees instead of 4. Problem is my truck won't run at 4 degrees. It just won't. SO i am stuck with a truck that i can't register without jumping through all kinds of bs hoops.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I never understood California's smog laws... maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but if you can run headers, after market high flow cats and still pass the sniff test why fail you on the visual? whats the big deal if you're running after market intakes, headers and such if it's not causing the car to put out more emissions than it should?
I agree completely with this. An emissions test should only concern itself with the emissions of a vehicle.

For a little perspective, though, on paper, California is actually one of the most permissive states when it comes to modification; in many other states ALL modifications that could affect emissions are illegal. The difference is that in those states there is no inspection that enforces that law. California is the only state I'm aware of that has a legal process to make modifications legal, however CA is viewed as draconian because they're the most stringent on enforcing their modification/emissions laws.

To answer the question, though, I stick mostly to suspension. For other mods, we pay through the nose because you pretty much have to stick to new parts with a CARB E.O. number.

This page is your friend: Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders. If you scroll to the bottom there are two searches, one by EO number, and the other by device. It's a bit of a pain because you can't put in a year/make/model and find what parts are legal, you have to give it what type of part you're looking for and then scroll through the list to see what parts are available for your car.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I do not live in Teh Peoplez Republik of Kalifornia. With that said, The Steeda CAI and the Roush TVS blowers are both CARB EO certified. Those would be good first mods (for N/A and forced induction, respectively)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do not live in Teh Peoplez Republik of Kalifornia. With that said, The Steeda CAI and the Roush TVS blowers are both CARB EO certified. Those would be good first mods (for N/A and forced induction, respectively)
I have the Steeda CAI with the carbon fiber tube and there was no carb number :\

·
Registered
480 Posts
The only CAI's that i believe are ca approved are the k&n, airaid, bbk, frpp, afe and i think that is it. Most if not all of the ca ones don't require a tune. With that said i am not even 100% sure that any tunes other then the frpp have a carb eo number.

·
NOR*CAL's FINEST
772 Posts
I try to only have my O/R H on during the weekend or on rare occasions because I work at the CHP Academy and they would always look when I had to stop at the front gate/guard post and take off from a stop. A lot of cops said it sounded really good but I know some thought it was way too loud. Even with the cats I know its gotta be over the allowed db's. Im running a straight through setup so I know Im way way louder than any other Mustang there, but if your real tight with the officers then you could drive in everyday with expired registration (ive seen this before). Most of them say that they'll only pull you over if your an obvious gross polluter and if your not in a neighborhood then theyre not that concerned with the db's. But if you get pulled over for street racing, reckless driving or DUI etc. then they'll throw the book at you for the illegal mods

·
Registered
276 Posts
I try to only have my O/R H on during the weekend or on rare occasions because I work at the CHP Academy and they would always look when I had to stop at the front gate/guard post and take off from a stop. A lot of cops said it sounded really good but I know some thought it was way too loud. Even with the cats I know its gotta be over the allowed db's. Im running a straight through setup so I know Im way way louder than any other Mustang there, but if your real tight with the officers then you could drive in everyday with expired registration (ive seen this before). Most of them say that they'll only pull you over if your an obvious gross polluter and if your not in a neighborhood then theyre not that concerned with the db's. But if you get pulled over for street racing, reckless driving or DUI etc. then they'll throw the book at you for the illegal mods
****, getting pulled over for street racing in general here is usually car impound + loss of license and jailtime right off the bat. My friend was in a street race for shits and giggles against his friend at 2:00am, nobody went faster than 80mph on a 35mph road, and they both lost their licenses for a year, lost their cars, and had to spend the night in jail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree completely with this. An emissions test should only concern itself with the emissions of a vehicle.

For a little perspective, though, on paper, California is actually one of the most permissive states when it comes to modification; in many other states ALL modifications that could affect emissions are illegal. The difference is that in those states there is no inspection that enforces that law. California is the only state I'm aware of that has a legal process to make modifications legal, however CA is viewed as draconian because they're the most stringent on enforcing their modification/emissions laws.

To answer the question, though, I stick mostly to suspension. For other mods, we pay through the nose because you pretty much have to stick to new parts with a CARB E.O. number.

This page is your friend: Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders. If you scroll to the bottom there are two searches, one by EO number, and the other by device. It's a bit of a pain because you can't put in a year/make/model and find what parts are legal, you have to give it what type of part you're looking for and then scroll through the list to see what parts are available for your car.
Yea i havent really run into many problems it is just a pain. WHen i smog i put my stock airbox and tune back into the car. My bassani x pipe passes just fine. Its modular so i may go catless for shits and giggles just worried about it being too loud and someone deciding to take a peak.

Other than that all my money has gone into suspension. Coilovers, sway bars, watts link, bump steer kit. Also upgrading to 2012 front rotors and hps pads. Also done cosmetic mods too

Its just a bummer that i cant really build my motor in this state. I guess if your a brand new car you can get away with it because you dont have to smog for 7 years but i dont have that advantage. I wish i had the money to go FI. I know both Roush and KB sell CA legal superchargers. I really want to go turbo though and idk if there is a carb legal turbo kit for the mustang.

So yes, thank you CA for not letting me run longtubes and have easy access to some extra power. Best I could do is shorties and thats like no gains, good noise but like the same price. Meh. Such a bummer

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I do what ever I want. You cant really buy yourself a smog tech anymore, at least its a lot harder, because of the risk they take. They're are loopholes though, if you know how to find them, but still risky

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh I didnt see this post, yeah thats exactly what you do, Ive used a po box as my physical for years anyway and Im only like 70 miles from Tahoe which is a transfer of title only county, if you have family in a county like that then its perfect, otherwise use a po
do you ever have to go to that PO box for anything? Cause i dont want to have to drive to my uncles cabin to get my reg tags or anything. Its a long long trip

1 - 20 of 43 Posts