Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
NOR*CAL's FINEST
772 Posts
Yea i havent really run into many problems it is just a pain. WHen i smog i put my stock airbox and tune back into the car. My bassani x pipe passes just fine. Its modular so i may go catless for shits and giggles just worried about it being too loud and someone deciding to take a peak.

Other than that all my money has gone into suspension. Coilovers, sway bars, watts link, bump steer kit. Also upgrading to 2012 front rotors and hps pads. Also done cosmetic mods too

Its just a bummer that i cant really build my motor in this state. I guess if your a brand new car you can get away with it because you dont have to smog for 7 years but i dont have that advantage. I wish i had the money to go FI. I know both Roush and KB sell CA legal superchargers. I really want to go turbo though and idk if there is a carb legal turbo kit for the mustang.

So yes, thank you CA for not letting me run longtubes and have easy access to some extra power. Best I could do is shorties and thats like no gains, good noise but like the same price. Meh. Such a bummer

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

do you ever have to go to that PO box for anything? Cause i dont want to have to drive to my uncles cabin to get my reg tags or anything. Its a long long trip
No. Technically you can have everything sent to your mailing address, which would in actuality be your physical. Nothing has to be sent to your physical. I still have my renewal sent to my box in Tahoe, Im paying for it anyway, its only 70 miles, its only once a year and its beautiful there. I think it looks better that way too, not that check anything like that anyway, I just have an investigative mind so it makes me feel better. I just made the trip a week ago for my September tags. If it makes you feel better, you can have your uncle mail the renewal and tags back to you, but its not necessary

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you could move to another state

·
Registered
75 Posts
Look into the referee process, from what research I've done... as long as you are not defeating or removing the smog control parts and even though those parts do not have an EO number a referee can issue an exemption sticker for your car/parts.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Look into the referee process, from what research I've done... as long as you are not defeating or removing the smog control parts and even though those parts do not have an EO number a referee can issue an exemption sticker for your car/parts.
If you're going to do this, talk to the ref FIRST.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm in pasadena ca so the cops around here are really uptight. That being said I originally went for the drag race set up since I was hitting irwindale a lot.

4.30 gears
detroit trutrac
moser 31 spline axles
MGW STS
Borla Long tubes
O/R X pipe
ZEX kit with a 100 shot
full bolt ons
Coast 1 piece drive shaft
Bassani Axle back
RET tune.....

I ended up getting a state ref after about a year and a half of this set up going down to camarillo to golf :( So I ditched the long tubes spray and gears. Tossed the Eforce on it, installed a set of 3.73's, Bassani O/R x pipe and a bassani axle back. I daily my car from pasadena to el monte and every where in between ( I stopped by the J. Lindeberg store at the beverly center) and then I went down to compton to see some friends. I also drive from pasadena to walnut a few days a week for school. Unless you drive like a dick or you drive a civic the police are pretty okay with the mods. I pay 150 for a smog check and bam i'm good

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Ponie, the only thing's not legal in your list were the long-tubes and the O/R X-pipe, and the only thing illegal in your current setup in the O/R X-pipe.

Just put a catted pipe in and you won't even have to worry should you get a dick cop that pops your hood, and you'll cut your smog check cost in half.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Every other state sucks, though :dunno
This right here. Lol. Also all my work and friends are in cali. So i need to just reg somewhere else. Pretty much all my mods are appearance, handling and braking. Mostly handling though, ive spent so much on suspension.

I was checking out the carb legal turbonetics kit. But even though it is emissions legal it isnt visually legal. *shrugs* i may just try and reg somewhere else and save the money to slap on a garret turbo

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I was checking out the carb legal turbonetics kit. But even though it is emissions legal it isnt visually legal.
That's not how it works. If it's "CARB legal" and has an E.O. number, then it passes the visual. "50-state" or "emissions legal" means (well, at least is supposed to mean) that it has an E.O. number.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ponie, the only thing's not legal in your list were the long-tubes and the O/R X-pipe, and the only thing illegal in your current setup in the O/R X-pipe.

Just put a catted pipe in and you won't even have to worry should you get a dick cop that pops your hood, and you'll cut your smog check cost in half.
The nitrous kit is also illegal :) I didn't really care at the time, I usually get pulled over for no front plate or the exhaust but I have yet to receive a single ticket since that state ref. I have the competition CAI on my car so that's also not carb legal. The axle back isn't carb legal either, this was my first year smogging the car and I honestly doubt I'll still have it when it comes time to resmog it so I just paid lol

·
Open Hood-Insert Money
255 Posts
Whipple and Saleen blowers are CARB approved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
So are Kenne Bell!

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

The only CAI's that i believe are ca approved are the k&n, airaid, bbk, frpp, afe and i think that is it. Most if not all of the ca ones don't require a tune. With that said i am not even 100% sure that any tunes other then the frpp have a carb eo number.
C&L has a no-tune CAI.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I just finished taking off some Hooker long tube headers off my Cobra and in place of the Hookers went in some Smog legal JBA shorty headers and the factory H pipe. I must be getting old because I like the fact that the car in quieter than before. Power wise. Long tube headers are only worth 1 or 2 HP more than the JBA shorties so no worries about power with the factory H pipe and the short tube headers.

·
Open Hood-Insert Money
255 Posts
I just finished taking off some Hooker long tube headers off my Cobra and in place of the Hookers went in some Smog legal JBA shorty headers and the factory H pipe. I must be getting old because I like the fact that the car in quieter than before. Power wise. Long tube headers are only worth 1 or 2 HP more than the JBA shorties so no worries about power with the factory H pipe and the short tube headers.
Hmmmm....I have read that shorties offer 0 horsepower gains (at least on the 3 valve)....I have shorties and am going to Long tubes.

JDM long tube dyno results: http://www.teamjdm.com/kooks-2005-2010-mustang-gt-3v-header-and-catted-x-pipe-kit/

·
Banned
178 Posts
Hmmmm....I have read that shorties offer 0 horsepower gains (at least on the 3 valve)....I have shorties and am going to Long tubes.

JDM long tube dyno results: 2005 Mustang GT 3V Header and X-Pipe Kit with or without Cats

After reading this bit of info, I had no worries about putting in the JBA shorties.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/261465-kooks-vs-jba-dyno-results-surprising.html

"...Jason Steen of Steen racing installed a set of Kooks (from JDM) headers on my 99 Cobra a little while back, and I got to the dyno today. The results were less than I expected, though should give a boost to those that wish to run shorty headers - especially the JBA's.

Relevant data:

Only change between this and previous dyno was the Kooks and matching off-road X-pipe (from JDM) vs JBA Shorty and Dr Gas off-road X.

Results: 308.7 RWHP, 291.5 RWTQ
Previous: 305.5 RWHP, 287.1 RWTQ

Same Dyno, same number of total pulls (3), approx same amount of time between runs.

CLICK IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION

Of note, I gained 12 RWHP going from the stock exhaust manifolds to the JBA's. I was hoping the long tubes would be worth more, but alas, it wasn't to be.

However, the car is MUCH nicer inside going down the road. It is quieter and doesn't have that "resonance" nor any drone. Very nice from that perspective.

Jason said there were few fitment problems, though the X-pipe had to be coaxed onto the collectors. Also, not all the tabs that hold the collectors to the individual pipes lined up, but only one is really needed, and there are no leaks.

The headers do hang a bit low, but we also installed a UPR Tubular K-member, and I plan to raise the motor a bit, so that will have some effect (more on the Tubular K-member install at a later date - we're still sorting out the springs for the coil-overs).

Overall, I'm disappointed with the power over the JBA's, but it would not be a stretch to see an honest 15-ish RWHP over the stock exhaust "logs".

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After reading this bit of info, I had no worries about putting in the JBA shorties.

Kooks vs JBA Dyno Results - Surprising.... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

"...Jason Steen of Steen racing installed a set of Kooks (from JDM) headers on my 99 Cobra a little while back, and I got to the dyno today. The results were less than I expected, though should give a boost to those that wish to run shorty headers - especially the JBA's.

Relevant data:

Only change between this and previous dyno was the Kooks and matching off-road X-pipe (from JDM) vs JBA Shorty and Dr Gas off-road X.

Results: 308.7 RWHP, 291.5 RWTQ
Previous: 305.5 RWHP, 287.1 RWTQ

Same Dyno, same number of total pulls (3), approx same amount of time between runs.

CLICK IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION

Of note, I gained 12 RWHP going from the stock exhaust manifolds to the JBA's. I was hoping the long tubes would be worth more, but alas, it wasn't to be.

However, the car is MUCH nicer inside going down the road. It is quieter and doesn't have that "resonance" nor any drone. Very nice from that perspective.

Jason said there were few fitment problems, though the X-pipe had to be coaxed onto the collectors. Also, not all the tabs that hold the collectors to the individual pipes lined up, but only one is really needed, and there are no leaks.

The headers do hang a bit low, but we also installed a UPR Tubular K-member, and I plan to raise the motor a bit, so that will have some effect (more on the Tubular K-member install at a later date - we're still sorting out the springs for the coil-overs).

Overall, I'm disappointed with the power over the JBA's, but it would not be a stretch to see an honest 15-ish RWHP over the stock exhaust "logs".
Were you saying that the shorties had more drone and the long tubes had less? Im considering shorties for the noise and also if I do end up going turbo.

But right now its all suspension and brakes and appearance. My car sounds bomb and is fun to drive, and now i want to make it turn even harder than it does

21 - 40 of 43 Posts