Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have realized that I either want a 2.5 or 3" cowl hood, or the 01-04 hood scoop for my 2000 white GT. I only like the factory ones, the the aftermarket Xenon ones AM and Late Model Resto sells. LMR sells the factory one for like $180 which is a damn lot of money for a simply little hood scoop. With purchasing the scoop, painting, and installation, I would be looking at roughly $270 I am pretty sure. For that much I may as well just save for a cowl hood.

Has anyone ever bought, had painted and installed one of these scoops on there 99 or 2000 GT or V6? I guess I would just like see what you all think.

Sean

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This was actually my first modification I did to my car. I was really happy with it, but now I kinda wish I saved up and bought a cowl hood.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
every mustang i've owned came with a scoop on it :shiftyeyes

i like them...what can i say

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys aren't helpign me much here. I need to know where to get one and if guys are buying used ones, etc.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You guys aren't helpign me much here. I need to know where to get one and if guys are buying used ones, etc.
I bought mine brand new from mr.bodykit pre-painted. It was around $300 shipped, of course this was around 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
I would also say look on eBay for an unpainted one. Make sure you get one that bolts on rather than a tape on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought one of the xenon hoods (unpainted) and they aren't horrible. I can see why you'd prefer a different one though. Either way, painting should be a fairly straight forward DIY, look in the detailing section and I'm sure you'll find something useful links to help you with it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to check out that Ebay one. So, gents, tell me, how do these bolt on? I am guessing one would have to screw it in from the hood up, correct? are there like pre-drilled holes?

As far as painting, I am sure I could get a pretty decent finish myself, but I am not going to take that risk. I have a guy that would probably shoot it for like $80 so I will just have him do it or take it to a certified body shop and have them do it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If you really want the cowl hood and are going to get it down the road then save imo. I have a 2.5 95 cobra r hood , I love how clean it looks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you really want the cowl hood and are going to get it down the road then save imo. I have a 2.5 95 cobra r hood , I love how clean it looks
I want a cowl bad, but I also really really like the way these cars look with that scoop. I almost like them a much as a cowl. I am going for a certain look and both routes will achieve my desired look.

How much should I expect to pay for prep, paint, and install on that hood scoop? Would I want to give the body shop who paints it my paint code? Where do I find the paint code?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am going to check out that Ebay one. So, gents, tell me, how do these bolt on? I am guessing one would have to screw it in from the hood up, correct? are there like pre-drilled holes?

As far as painting, I am sure I could get a pretty decent finish myself, but I am not going to take that risk. I have a guy that would probably shoot it for like $80 so I will just have him do it or take it to a certified body shop and have them do it.
Not sure I ever saw too many bolt on hood scoops on ebay, most of them were just 3m tape which has worked great for me so far.

I'd still consider painting it yourself,t for $80 you could mess up a few times and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im gonna play it safe and take it to a professional. Too many variables.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
i was in a similar position as you a week or so ago, ended up buying a cowl hood. i had a scoop on my car and some ass hat ripped it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts