Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my next 5.0 (even though Im a camaro guy, I have a soft spot for the foxbody). http://tinypic.com/r/34ouc6v/6

It's a 1990 LX convertible (wish it was a hardtop, but I live in San Diego and this deal was too good to pass up).

Car is in great shape, 57,000 miles and has nothing wrong mechanically. Going to have to replace rear main seal it looks like, and this weekend I'll pay for my rear vinyl to be installed. After that, car should just need more speed! :D

I guess my question is:
1. What would be next for more speed (on a student budget). Its all stock except for CAI and flowmasters. Was thinking of MSD ignition (I see thats a popular improvement).
2. Also, whats the legalities of headers?

My friend has an ugly as fuu 93 Camaro Z28.. I need to get a lil more speed just to put him in his place.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
What kind of budget are we talkin' about here? Sub frame connectors should be an early purchase.
I'm pretty sure ryanw said you can't run LT headers in Cali

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
ryanw says,
"..I know what your all thinking....SHORTY HEADERS EWWWW.....lol, sorry in california i cant run long tubes.."

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I could be wrong.....

But when you install long lube headers you loose the first two cats, and thats not legal, california wants all 4 on there.

Im sure if im wrong some one else from california will chime in.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I would stick with a 3.55 or 3.73 for a manual. A 4.10 would be better suited for an aod or a 4.6 imo.

Subframe connectors, brakes, and suspension are possibly the most important items to start with. Power means little if you cant lay it down let alone control it.

But before i did that i would take care of that rear main seal if you are sure it is leaking. They are only 15-20 but can run anywhere from 700-900 in labor for a shop to replace. Unless you do it yourself, of course. Clean off any oil and take a look. It could be the rear main or a valve cover gasket or lower intake gasket or even the pan gasket that is leaking. You never know.

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
I could be wrong.....

But when you install long lube headers you loose the first two cats, and thats not legal, california wants all 4 on there.

Im sure if im wrong some one else from california will chime in.
Not to argue...BUT I was running an h pipe with two cats last emissions test. Passed with flying colors and no one said anything....

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
I would stick with a 3.55 or 3.73 for a manual. A 4.10 would be better suited for an aod or a 4.6 imo.

Subframe connectors, brakes, and suspension are possibly the most important items to start with. Power means little if you cant lay it down let alone control it.

But before i did that i would take care of that rear main seal if you are sure it is leaking. They are only 15-20 but can run anywhere from 700-900 in labor for a shop to replace. Unless you do it yourself, of course. Clean off any oil and take a look. It could be the rear main or a valve cover gasket or lower intake gasket or even the pan gasket that is leaking. You never know.
I agree with him, do an In depth clean up down there. Get it as dry and clean as you can, then methodically run it and check it until you pin point the leaks. I was under the impression my rear main was crap too but after I investigated it turned out to be an oil pan gasket.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Just an fyi, an msd is not a power mod, especially on a bone stock car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Suspension and gears would be the next thing as far as upgrades go, imo. Rear control arms, full length subframe connectors, and 3.73s.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Not answers I was expecting but thats not a bad thing. I started looking into GT40 heads (my friend has an 86 with GT40 heads).

I forgot to add the sway bars front and rear were upgraded so handling feels pretty nice actually. Brakes look brand new (rotors/front atleast).

I work in a shop so labor cost shouldn't be an issue if my boss is cool (im new there, not a full mechanic) I just need time. Will definitely clean up though and make sure it is from rear main seal. Its just the last owner said it was that, and it seems to be dripping. But we'll see.

A new rear end would be nice. I see thats a big deal. What donor cars would have a suitable rear end to upgrade to?

Love this site, good jobs guys

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Not to argue...BUT I was running an h pipe with two cats last emissions test. Passed with flying colors and no one said anything....
Im not saying that you cant pass the sniffer test, but if a smog shop chose to.... they could have failed you on the visual for only having 2 cats. With that being said, im only running two cats myself. Lol

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
There's a few here. Depends on what type of thing your looking for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
Oh. And welcome. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
No long tubes period .

Sent from my DROID RAZR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts