Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i havent been on here in awhile but while i was gone i bought a 65 stang with the 200 sprint but the block is shot. i want to put a 302 in it with a t-5, is it a good idea? also the idiot that had it before me put autozone special air shocks on it what do you recomend for replacement? thanks in advance

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
yea i would do it. but you'll have to change your front end suspension to the v8 for extra weight

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will need to change the motor mounts and the part the mount sits on, I can't think of the name right now.
New tranny cross member.
Drive shaft.
Exhaust system.
Is your car automatic. You will need clutch pedal and linkage or go to hydraulic and make brackets.
Bunch of stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
If it is a auto your tranny mount is the same.
Replace these items:
Radiator, motor frame mounts, accel linkage, and the suspension is alot liter on a 6 cyl. It can be used but Really Really Dont! recommend you too. Replace with any V8 suspension from a 1965-70 mustang Front and Rear. or 1967-1970 Cougar. the thing you will be using is the spindles and the drag link and the tie rod ends from what ever year you use. Just remember the year you use is the part from that year you need to buy. the rear ends are easy 1967 up you will need the U bolts and plates from the doner car also. Get the drive shaft if you can.

Just remember it some times is alot easier and cheaper to Buy A Car that has what you wanted in the first place. A 6 Cyl car is not always a cheaper ride to buy if you change everything.

The rear spring need to be replaced and put a good monroe shock on it. KYB's are nice but ride like Crap.

Good Luck Hope we all have helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
'67 up rear ends are a different width and offset. They can be stuffed under but the rear tires WILL get cut up with G70 profile tires. It's really not a good idea.

As recommended, you have to change out the complete front suspension, at least the spindles out, as you need the brakes. Honestly, I never saw a difference in metal thickness or shape of the control arms when I did all that work. I did see a big need for the bigger brakes hauling down from the higher speeds. Definitely consider going disc brake up front.

'64 1/2 - '66 have some serious differences from '67 up, much less the '65 five bolt bellhousing vs. '66 six bolt difference. Don't do like I did and just assume they are all the same, Ford made lots of running changes over the years. A good ol salvage yard guy who worked the business back then, or a old hot rodder, will know the deal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i appreciate it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts