Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to this forum and unfortunately having some weird problems.
It started about 3 or 4 weeks ago my car took a **** on me in a school parking lot the day before my 21st birthday. Me and my dad own a garage here in town so I called him to come help me look at it. Turns out the pickup coil was bad. Got a new dizzy put in it and when i started it it ran good for about 5 min and then my Walbro 255 fuel pump quit workin. Replaced my fuel pump and car ran great for a few days. I took it out one night cruising and ran great all night and had all its power. Two days later i pulled to a stop light and it started sputtering and idling at about 400-450 rpms and then shut off. It would start and hit normal idle then just turn back off. We let the car sit for a few hours after pushing it to nearest place to park it and i came back and it started up and i was able to make it to the shop but it had no power and had to give it a lot of gas just to get up to speed. I then replaced the temp sensor and my thermostat cause it seemed to not be opening. Ive set my tps voltage and im 99% sure my timing is correct. The IAC doesnt seemed to be gunked up but i did clean it. A couple days ago it was running fine so i took it out around town stopped at a friends and it would just start and die. It did this for 2 hours or so. In front of his house i pulled my number 6 spark plug to check it and while i had it out i laid it accross my strut tower to make sure i was making good spark and it seemed great but when i started it with just the 7 plugs in it ran fine (other than minus one lol) but when i put it back in the car was idling good (550-650 rpms) so i ran it home immediately and it had all of its power on the way home. Tried to start it today and it was surging between 900 and 1100 for maybe 5 min and backfiring a tiny bit on the way back to 900 fromm the 1100. After the five min it was idling good so i drove it here to work.
Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any help or just anyone who could help point me in the right direction. I have quite a few mods but ill post those if you guys need me to.
Thanks ahead of time -Dustin

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check for codes, replace the fuel filter and clean the MAF.

Are you sure you installed the dizzy correctly? Sounds like the 7 spark plugs may be a big part of the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the codes and got ones for the smog and egr but both are bypassed so i knew they would get codes. I did clean the maf at the time i replaced my thermostat but it did not look dirty.. its a summit racing 70mm maf calibrated to 30# inj. Ive got a set of spark plugs on the way and i know they could help but i dont think they are causing my problem?

·
Registered
89 Posts
do you have anything done to the motor or is it all stock:yes

·
Registered
89 Posts
:bangheadpulled a homer simpson did not see where you said you do have mods. LOL.my car was surging forever and we had hell finding it. i fixed it.. first unhooking one of the vacum lines under the intake and it cleared right up no surge,check this and see if it helps if so put it back on and ill pm you the fix that solved my idle surge

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha well ill just post most my mods and you guys can tell me what you think.
Its a ford racing gt-40 crate engine. forged rotating assembly and all that jazz.
Gt-40p heads
E-303 cam
Some roller rockers not sure the ratio but theyre blue if that helps lol
MSD blaster coil
Summit 75mm maf sensor
30#injectors
gt40 upper and lower intake
Removed smog pump and ac
EGR bypass but its stll on the car.
75mm tb
AODE and not sure on the gears but my speedo is 5mph off.
Short headers catted mac prochamber and pro-flo vforce mufflers dumped before the axle.
Last night I got new copper cored spark plugs and the car seems to be running alright. It didnt surge this morning but it seems to have its fits every two or three days but if it does ill pull that vac line and let you know how it goes. My idle seems a little low but it doesnt seem to be running bad, it smells like its running super rich but i just recently blew out a header gasket. Like i said im 99% sure i have the dizzy in correctly but im going to pull it and re-stab it after work tonight. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what its worth, I put in a rebuilt dizzy from Advance Auto Parts and was having problems with the timing. Turns out the unit was missing a link in the base and the timing would drift after I it set each time.
Got it replaced and no more issues for 3 years now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thoughts to myself that said "is this new fuel pump bad?"
I have three fuel pressure gauges and not a single one fits Ford :( FML
But everytime I depress the pin to make sure I have pressure it damn near hits the hood with fuel.
The car hasnt acted up since the last time I posted but it seems like I lose some power every couple days and have to advance the dizzy a degree to get it back. Maybe the new one i got is bad?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I have no idea of your experience so I'm just asking a couple of questions:
1. When you installed the new distributor, did you make sure that the rotor pointed to the exact spot that the old one did when you removed it?

2. Did you remove the SPOUT connector that is in the same part of the wiring harness as the MAF connector when you set the base timing? Did you remember to put the SPOUT connector back in? What did you set the base timing at?

3. Yes it is very possible that you got a remanufactured distributor that failed almost immediately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea of your experience so I'm just asking a couple of questions:
1. When you installed the new distributor, did you make sure that the rotor pointed to the exact spot that the old one did when you removed it?

2. Did you remove the SPOUT connector that is in the same part of the wiring harness as the MAF connector when you set the base timing? Did you remember to put the SPOUT connector back in? What did you set the base timing at?

3. Yes it is very possible that you got a remanufactured distributor that failed almost immediately.

No worries. These are the basics and should be asked!
Yes the the rotor is in the EXACT place it was in whenit cam out. I got it in and it when down and turned itself back as the teeth met and when it was down all the way was in the EXACT place that it cam out from.

Once I had it running I turned the car off. Disconnected the SPOUT and set my dizzy to TDC (1 cyl at the very very top). Started the car and I set my base timing somewhere between 12 and 15. Turned the car off and plugged it back in and drove it for a few days and it felt great. But the last couple weeks i feel i lose some power when i just slam on the throttle which usually clears out when i advance the timing.. i keep a 12mm wrench in my car so i can do it whenever its acting this way. and i do repeat the steps with the SPOUT when i do any adjustments.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
have you ever changed the harmonic balancer on this car? it might be puking its rubber inertia section and might need to be changed. When the engine is running at idle, look for whether or not the harmonic balancer rotates smoothly or if it appears to vibrate or wobble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have changed it three times actually lol.
Had one that all te rubber rotted out and it came in two and starting making terrible noises and scared the piss out of me.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
yeah I've changed mine twice in 215,000 miles lol.........
I figured there was a chance since you keep having to adjust the timing.
see if there is a way you can exchange your distributor for a replacement one. Your reasoning would be that replacing it may have fixed one problem but could have caused another.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts