Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 and I hated the stock exhaust, so after listening to ALL the soundclips, I decided the Bassani was the best sounding. I also liked the Flowmaster Hushpowers, but I read about terrible drone. Bassani also claimed in one of their youtube video comments that there was no drone.

I got my mufflers installed and the system drones (or whatever you call a low frequency head-ache inducing resonance) between 1500-2200 RPM, but it's absolutely TERRIBLE 1900-2000 RPM.

I don't want to spend hundreds on sound deadening and the local shop wasn't too sure about installing "side branch resonators (a solution I found by googling).

My question is:

1) Does anyone else have this axle-back exhaust and know to fix the drone?

2) The local shop suggested getting a Bassani x-pipe MAY cut down on drone.

3) Does anyone know of any Axle-back systems for the 5.0 that absolutely will NOT drone? I like the Borla type-S, but WAY too expensive. I also like Roush but I hear they are obnoxiously loud. The GT500's sound OK, but it's the price that appeals to me the most.

I hear the Corsas will not drone and I do enjoy the sound...but I'm also worried they might be too loud (I live in a metropolitan area).

But most of all, I'd like to keep the bassanis on and find a way to reduce/fix it. Your help/input is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
I have the full bassani cat back that includes the X-pipe and it still drones. Sometimes it's real bad with the windows up, but less so with the windows down. Other than changing out the mufflers, I don't know what will fix the drone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I feared. Thanks. Two of the tech guys I talked to thought the improved flow of an X-pipe would decrease the drone, but it seems that isn't the case.

Does anyone know if the Roush's are way too loud for daily/city driving? I don't want to be a cop magnet or terrorize people I pass in the city (90% of my driving is city). I may end up having to go with the GT500's considering price/drone.

No idea what to do with my stock mufflers OR the soon-to-be-gone Bassanis.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Roush axle backs. Honestly I don't even notice them at highway speeds until I change throttle posistion. No drone here. I will however say that I feel sorry for anyone behind me at WOT. They are very loud at WOT but at 2k rpm they are only slightly louder than stock. At startup they are louder until the revs drop from a cold start and again, not obnoxious. I get compliments on them constantly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Hushpowers and I would not say they have terrible drone at all. The only time I get drone is at highway speed when I'm in 6th and that's only when I go up a hill and put the motor under stress. Cruising flat land, no drone. And I have a vert.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed drone decreases when my windows are down.

That being said, I get drone at ALL gears at 2,000 RPM, worst offenders are 2-4th gear.

Oh, any any drone on the Roush?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's impossible for the Roush's not to drone. The exhaust pulse frequency right at 2k rpm is perfect for causing drone, the only way to get rid of it would be to quiet the exhaust down completely, ala the GT500 mufflers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost all exhuast setups for our car drone. I still don't see what the big deal is
Headaches from inside the car, especially in the city when you spent a lot of time at 2,000 RPM. I don't know how people don't find that low freqeuncy resonating mindsplitting.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Headaches from inside the car, especially in the city when you spent a lot of time at 2,000 RPM. I don't know how people don't find that low freqeuncy resonating mindsplitting.
Guess im used to it..... lol I used to drive a honda:cool:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think from what everyone is saying, it's the 3" pipes that are causing the bad drone. I just have the X-pipe and Axleback and I have a little drone at 2k but I think it sounds good. Not to loud, doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think from what everyone is saying, it's the 3" pipes that are causing the bad drone. I just have the X-pipe and Axleback and I have a little drone at 2k but I think it sounds good. Not to loud, doesnt bother me at all.
What are 3" pipes (don't laugh)? Do you mean replace the H pipe with an X-pipe?

And would I have to use the Bassani x-pipe or could I use a ford one http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-xpipe-11gt.html. Remember, I emailed Bassani about the drone and apart from telling me to shove it (which they kind of did), they said installing an X-pipe would increase drone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you still have the resonators installed? If Jokerstars removed the resonators that could be the big difference. The resonators on our cars seem pretty small, but are very functional. I have the Ford Racing GT500/SVT axle-back exhaust (Part# M-5230-MGTCA1) $284 shipped. I absolutely love them and they have a very noticeable difference over stock with ZERO drone. My point here is one of my buddies has the same GT500 axle-backs and he removed the resonators and installed an x-pipe. Way too loud and actually his has a funny metallic sound; he regrets removing the resonators. Another friend of mine has the Roush axle-backs and is looking at converting to my set-up. His Roush axle-backs are so so at low RPM’s, but above~3500+ RPM’s they get louder and louder with drone.

Certainly there are many great exhausts to choose from and many folks enjoy that aggressive sound, but that aggressive sound comes at the price of drone and often times pissing off the neighborhood and or the police.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Roush axle backs. They do not have any drone at all. At WOT they are loud and at start up too. A guy on another forum has them for sale for only $220 shipped. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not remove any of the resonators. My mechanic simply bolted on my Bassani exhaust after taking off the stock mufflers.

I'm sure people who are using to tricking out their car would think drone is not a big deal but to me it is because 1)I'm OCD and 2) Females complain.

thanks for all your input guys. Right now I'm leaning towards the Roush OR the GT500's. I'm worried the GT500's might be too tame compared to the Bassanis so I guess I'd get the ford x-pipe with the GT500's (significantly pushing up the price). I also hear an X-pipe will improve the GT500 sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you still have the resonators installed? If Jokerstars removed the resonators that could be the big difference. The resonators on our cars seem pretty small, but are very functional. I have the Ford Racing GT500/SVT axle-back exhaust (Part# M-5230-MGTCA1) $284 shipped. I absolutely love them and they have a very noticeable difference over stock with ZERO drone. My point here is one of my buddies has the same GT500 axle-backs and he removed the resonators and installed an x-pipe. Way too loud and actually his has a funny metallic sound; he regrets removing the resonators. Another friend of mine has the Roush axle-backs and is looking at converting to my set-up. His Roush axle-backs are so so at low RPM’s, but above~3500+ RPM’s they get louder and louder with drone.

Certainly there are many great exhausts to choose from and many folks enjoy that aggressive sound, but that aggressive sound comes at the price of drone and often times pissing off the neighborhood and or the police.
Do you have any video clips of this setup?

Price is good and I dd mine 108 miles a day and do not want drone! I was interested in boreal s-type but they are costly

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Roush axle backs. They do not have any drone at all. At WOT they are loud and at start up too. A guy on another forum has them for sale for only $220 shipped. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the link.
I just called my buddy with the Roush axle-backs because my old memory failed me, he also removed his resonators and has the same x-pipe our buddy with the GT500 exhaust has. So most likely this helps narrow the drone questions, it seems to be related to the resonators and maybe even larger diameter piping. He also said his drone is minimal at lower RPM's. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you have any video clips of this setup?

Price is good and I dd mine 108 miles a day and do not want drone! I was interested in boreal s-type but they are costly
Sorry no I do not, but here is a link to another 2011 GT with the GT500 exhaust. The issue is unless you have a great recorder or even a HD video recorder you really have to hear them in person. This video is OK, but trust me, it sounds even better in person. Here is the link:

I will experiement with my video recorder this week and if I can get a cleaner sounding recording I will let you know. Also I think his initial walk around is with the stock exhaust.

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did not remove any of the resonators. My mechanic simply bolted on my Bassani exhaust after taking off the stock mufflers.

I'm sure people who are using to tricking out their car would think drone is not a big deal but to me it is because 1)I'm OCD and 2) Females complain.

thanks for all your input guys. Right now I'm leaning towards the Roush OR the GT500's. I'm worried the GT500's might be too tame compared to the Bassanis so I guess I'd get the ford x-pipe with the GT500's (significantly pushing up the price). I also hear an X-pipe will improve the GT500 sound.
Sounds like you oughta just leave the stock exhaust on, instead of wasting money on different exhausts and having them installed each time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the Borla ATAK...there is absolutely no drone at any rpm with these things. Borla did a fantastic job this time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts