Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I always get a kick out of Monday morning QBs that say this, and frankly, it's absurd. First off, because you don't hear of the thousands and thousands of cars that successfully swerve and avoid damage.

Secondly, it's pretty easy to say not to swerve the next day, when you're not behind the wheel. I wrecked a beautiful 69 Mustang because a deer just appeared 10' in front of me, and I swerved out of pure reflex. Sometimes it's not so easy to not swerve.

Or how about a girl I went to high school with that hit a deer in a Camaro, who spent a month in the hospital having reconstructive surgeries of her face, after the deer came through the windshield? That sounds fun. I'm thinking she should have swerved.

Plowing through a deer isn't always the best choice, and sometimes, it just doesn't happen. When one jumps in front of you, all you can hope for is to quickly process the situation, and make an instant reaction, and hope you do the right thing. Telling people it's better to hit the deer isn't always going to be the best.

This Monday morning QB HAS hit a deer before. and has also had several close calls with deer and other animals before.

you also don't hear about all the accidents that involve a guy swerving to avoid a deer and hitting a parked car on the side of the road (happened to another car of mine.)

A deer will give. As a matter of fact my car picked it up and carried it about 30 feet before depositing it under the front tire. a tree, jersey wall, ditch, ect will not give. yes its a chance kind of thing that the deer will jump up and go over the hood, but it is that, a chance thing. I like to think in terms of risk assessment, and in terms of which will end in the lowest amount of loss. All of these things are chance, go with the best odds.

and also notice how I specified hyway speeds. if you are doing like 40 you could probably avoid the deer. If you are doing 75 (and yes some states the speed limit goes as high as 85) swerving could be much more dangerous.

I have had many, MANY close calls behind the wheel, I know how hard it can be to resist your natural reaction to a scenario. I have at least, bare minimum 400,000 miles behind the wheel and I have driven in at least half the states in the last 16 years. So how much experience do I need before I officially get my Monday morning QB status?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I would say that half the crashes I cover involving speed, reckless operation, DUI, the operator claims a "deer ran out in front of the car". Last night some asshat drove a Raptor in the side of the local dance club putting a hole in the building. He claimed he "wasn't driving" even though the club owner reached in and tore the keys from the ignition when he attempted to flee lol. He was 3x the legal limit.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
This Monday morning QB HAS hit a deer before. and has also had several close calls with deer and other animals before.

you also don't hear about all the accidents that involve a guy swerving to avoid a deer and hitting a parked car on the side of the road (happened to another car of mine.)

A deer will give. As a matter of fact my car picked it up and carried it about 30 feet before depositing it under the front tire. a tree, jersey wall, ditch, ect will not give. yes its a chance kind of thing that the deer will jump up and go over the hood, but it is that, a chance thing. I like to think in terms of risk assessment, and in terms of which will end in the lowest amount of loss. All of these things are chance, go with the best odds.

and also notice how I specified hyway speeds. if you are doing like 40 you could probably avoid the deer. If you are doing 75 (and yes some states the speed limit goes as high as 85) swerving could be much more dangerous.

I have had many, MANY close calls behind the wheel, I know how hard it can be to resist your natural reaction to a scenario. I have at least, bare minimum 400,000 miles behind the wheel and I have driven in at least half the states in the last 16 years. So how much experience do I need before I officially get my Monday morning QB status?

400,000 miles......lol. By Monday morning QB, I'm saying that you weren't there, yet you tell him what he did wrong. You weren't there, and you don't know = Monday morning QB. Every situation is different, and to tell someone they should hit a deer, when you weren't there is 100% asinine. Yes, sometimes it "might" be better, as I pointed out. Do you know how many deer I've safely dodged that I could have hit? Living in Oklahoma, I'd say anywhere near 100. I swerved once that it didn't work out as well. I like those odds. Hitting a deer in a Mustang is a huge risk, just like my friend that got her face rearranged by one in a camaro.

So unless you witnessed the accident of the OP, or you have a crystal ball, your post was a Monday morning QB statement.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yeah, 400k miles and thats estimating, rounding down, and stopping counting when I felt like it. that is based off the miles I have put on the cars I have owned the longest.

and as far as your monday morning QB point, you could make that in almost every thread, in every board, on the internet. Your point is asinine because it entails basically every thread on the internet.

yeah, people do things that are wrong sometimes, and sometimes people mabey could of done things in ways that are better. I was attempting to give some good advice for somebody to read and possibly use in the future. I would like to know how you construed that as me specifically finger pointing the OP they way you so eloquently worded out.

I am sorry for what happened to your friend. That sucks, I get it.

·