Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well i've noticed w/in these past few days, my damn stanger banger feels like a freakin turd muffin!

When i get on in 4k and above (where it actually makes power), it still pulls like it should... but in the lower rpm's, its ridiculously slow and turdish lol.

I know our cars dont make power until 3.5k and above, but even in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th below 3k i could still feel it pull, and it was accompanied by a aggressive exhaust tone. Now its slow and its not as loud... *it almost feels like the gas pedel is easier to push, as to where it used to feel a tad bit more firm....

Has anyone else experienced any of this? Gears are goin in very soon, so that'll eliminate the low rpm turd like qualities, but i cant stand it as of right now.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
coilpack or plug breakin down bubba...... remember my story about my bad day at the track... thats the way mine was runnin on the 13.3 passes... lol

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
does it do it at an idle? if not.. you might just wanna change plugs for now and if it continues to get worse and starts doin it at an idle just go around and un plug one coilpack at a time until you find out which one is bad....

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it do it at an idle? if not.. you might just wanna change plugs for now and if it continues to get worse and starts doin it at an idle just go around and un plug one coilpack at a time until you find out which one is bad....
yeah, i'll check it out...
I have noticed, at idle, its kind rough... almost like the exhaust is doing a very very very mild backfire like every 10 or so seconds give or take.

I was actually thinking fuel filter, injectors, plugs??? but u think it could be the coil pack?

How much is if for a new set of coils?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I exgaggerated (spelling) a bit... its not extremely slow at lower rpm's... but not like it usually is.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
haha.... i dunno how much coil packs are... i think around like 50 a piece or so... i have 7 stock coil packs... the one missing is the one i put on my car.. lol. find out if its actually a coil pack and if it is you can pay shipping and ill send you one or however many you need... should only be one though..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Coil Packs = 40-60 bucks.

My car was just doing the same thing rough idle, power was low in the lower RPM. After about 3 days the car started to simmy at under 1500rpms.

I went to shop, pulled a spark plug, and that thing was burnt up and gaped at like 75.

Swap your plugs, or just check on, when I swaped mine, now my car feels great again, running better then it ever has since I have owned it.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
its probbably a coil but it would be missing really bad im thinking fuel filter cause my car does it SOMETIMES

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? It's a pretty cheap thing to do if you haven't done them in a while.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
+1 with the plugs. Id do those first. if that doesnt help go with the coil packs. I think your problem within one of the 2

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
when should you change the plugs? I only have 40k miles on mine...it just started feeling sluggish exaclty how you are describing yours...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
do your plugs! I'm doing mine this weekend!

You wouldn't want me to beat you next week at the strip now would you? haha:D

O, i found out those khumos are extreme performance! so i may have some extra grip next week! :eek:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
lol.. they must not have read all the posts before they posted cuz like 5 people said the exact same thing i did. lmao.. like i said.. its either plugs or coil packs. do plugs first cuz its cheaper... but like i also told you... i would send you however many packs you need if you will pay shipping...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol.. they must not have read all the posts before they posted cuz like 5 people said the exact same thing i did. lmao.. like i said.. its either plugs or coil packs. do plugs first cuz its cheaper... but like i also told you... i would send you however many packs you need if you will pay shipping...
awsome man. That sounds like a plan.

How hard are the plugs to change? Which plugs should i get? How do i tell if the coil pack is damaged?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have read so many time changes deponding on the plugs, anything from 10-15k miles to 50k miles. This is what I suggest, go to autozone, pick up a socketplug for your spark plugs. Take your wrench unbolt the front driverside coil, take your sparkplug out. (easyest one to get to, no obstructions)

If it looks burnt up, chances are good that the rest of your plugs are the same if not worse. Check your gap, I know mine were so large Im surpised my car was still running.

Plugs only cost 2-5dollars per plug deponding on the brand. Or you can get the neat 4 prong ones for like 20bucks a plug, but I think those would only be good for like a supercharger or twin turbo. Crazy stuff!

When your changing all your plugs, take a look at each coil pack. If the rubber looks torn up, dried out, or the spring is bad, get a new one. Take a needle nose and pull on the spring inside the rubber, clean off the end, make sure it isnt broke inside.

First time for me changing my plugs, took me about an hour and half, and I had a helicoil freespinning in my intake so I couldnt get that coil off, took like 30mins for me to get it out.

My car had the same problem, and it went from running great, next day, performance droped fast, couldnt cruise at 1500rpm in a higher gear, that type of thing.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a 4v:D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok cool. Thanks Ugmul.

So do you think that quite sequential backfireing sound is from a bad plugs, or do you think that associated with running rich? I'm datalogging when i get back from FL (Spring Break) and getting a custom 93 tune from trick tuners.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ya, When I swaped out my plugs i had one that was fouled out, and that was the one causing the backfire feeling. Once I took the coil off I could see oil on top. Made it a pain to get it out, caused a suction effect with the socket but I won that battle pretty quick.

As my friend showed me, good way to see if you have a plug missfiring. Turn your car on. Go to your tail pipes, and take a dollar bill. Hold it at the top and let it hang down over your exhaust, you should see a steady pattern to it. If you have a bad plug, you will see it move back and fourth ilregularly, or even get sucked into the tail pipe. Mine did that and I was like, wow, look at that :eek:.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts