Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site, but on my 2nd Mustang. I have a 03 GT vert, pretty much stock. New Kumho tires about 6K ago.

My problem is some pretty nasty vibrations, speed doesn't matter. I notice it more when I lightly accel or let off the gas. At 30 MPH, I'll let off the gas and it will vibrate for about 2 seconds and then stop. If I'm crusing at freeway speed, it's pretty constant.

Been in to two dealers, only because I have a warranty . The first, the service manager was kind of a dick. The second dealer did alot of checking and only found that the tail shaft bearing was leaking. I don't think they checked the u-joints, which I'm convinced that is the problem. They also suggested removing the driveline and sending it out to check balance. Just waiting for a crappy rental car.

I have been trying to be patient, but I'm losing it. I'm guessing that when I got my new tires, that the shop balanced the properly. The vibration is not in the steering wheel, it's in my seat and the convertible top shakes pretty good. My first Stang was a 2000 GT hardtop. Is this normal for a convertible?

My question....could my struts/shocks be going bad? Is there something loose in the suspension? What can I check myself?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this info would probably be helpful, 32K miles on it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
check the driveshaft for play in it

there should be no or extreamly little play in it

if theres play then you eather have a bad u joint or a bad yolk

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
check the driveshaft for play in it

there should be no or extreamly little play in it

if theres play then you eather have a bad u joint or a bad yolk
+1 check the driveshaft

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i chased a vibration for a month and then went to rotate my tires and it was because i had 3 19mm lugs and 2 21mm lugs on the same wheel.... prob not ur prob but iv never had a drivshaft prob, but since it was leaking, thats prob what it is

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
+ 1 on the DS. Is it auto or manual? If its auto and its not the DS might be torque converter or tranny.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if its a manual and not a driveshaft problem then it could be the clutch or internal parts of the tranny

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
man it could be one of a billion things...but since you have the warranty, just keep taking it back.

Off the top of my head things that can cause vibrations...
unbalanced tire
drive shaft
u joint
hub bearing
engine problems
tranny problems
motor mount
rearend problem
suspension problem

·
Registered
761 Posts
A kid at my school had this same problem in his GT Gran Pris, he got new shocks and struts and it fixed the problem.. he might have gotten new tires too.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
man it could be one of a billion things...but since you have the warranty, just keep taking it back.

Off the top of my head things that can cause vibrations...
unbalanced tire
drive shaft
u joint
hub bearing
engine problems
tranny problems
motor mount
rearend problem
suspension problem
+1 That's what I did when I was having clutch issues and I ended up getting 2 new clutches, 2 new throwout bearings, 1 resurfaced flywheel, and 2 new pilot bearings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a manual. I'm glad I have the warranty, however, I have a hard time trusting the guys at the dealerships.

I too think it is a driveline issue. I've been waiting 7 weeks for them to hook me up with a rental car:mad:, since it is part of the Ford extended warranty I bought. I'm having a hard time believing that it's taking that long to get a rental, and I'm tired of going to different dealerships starting at square 1.

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas that I could check myself. Someone on this post brought up shocks/struts. How can I check to see if they need to be replaced?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, got the stang into the shop. They are taking off the driveline and sending it out to be balanced and check the u-joints. They are also replacing the tail shaft bearing, which was leaking.

I got a f-150 Lariat as a loaner. Nice freaking truck. I'd like for someone to blow up my Durango R/T and get an F-150.

Anyway, when I get it back, I'll give an update.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A nice loaner! Nows the time to go shopping for those bulky items you dont want to put in the durango. Leaking tail shaft bearing could def be a big culprit in your problem...suprised it took them that long to figure that out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
shoulda picked up a local hooker, im sure she would have loved the ride

good luck getting it fixed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK a little update. Got her back from the dealership yesterday. I have to give props to Horizon Ford in Tukwila/Seattle. Good guys there. Had the car a little long, but did a good job.

When the tech removed the driveline, he noticed the following"

"Driveshaft not phased correctly with pinion flange. U-joints OK. Reinstalled driveshaft in correct position." Who knows if it came from Ford that way, or if some knucklehead mechanic did some work on it for a previous owner. I bought it used August 2007.

Also, I bought some Kumho's from Tirerack.com. I had a garage in Auburn, WA mount and balance them. The dealership found they were inflated to 42 lbs. I thought "Holy Crap!" They let some air out. That's my bad for not checking. I usually do, but they looked OK and I thought the tireshop would know the correct pressure.

Also, they replaced the transmission rear output shaft seal which was leaking.

So, it drives better. There is still a little vibration, but not as bad. I guess convertible stangs just vibrate.

Hope this helps a little to those chasing the vibrations in their Mustangs.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
So, it drives better. There is still a little vibration, but not as bad. I guess convertible stangs just vibrate.
read my sig...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the vibrator is back! I'm taking my car back in on Monday. I'm going to have them check the tranny mounts (transmission, not trans-sexual), motor mounts, and also have the driveshaft check for balance.
My wife thinks I'm crazy and being overly retarded:eek:! She says that she doesn't even notice. I need your guys backing on this. C'mon! Tell me I'm not retarded. It will make me feel better. Also, if anyone has any good comebacks related to your nagging wife, post 'em. I've basically resorted to responding, "whatever" to everything she says.

Anyone know of someone willing to part with a stock Mach 460 front door speaker? Mine's shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts