Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has never really gotten the power to the pavement, and the lowering springs made it even worse. So while i'm waiting on the machine work to be completed on my 5.4, I thought I would work on getting my current power to the ground.
I've been looking at everything from ditching the lowering springs, to getting some different rear control arms, specifically these lakewoods:
Lakewood 21901 Lakewood Traction... Action Lift Bars
Anyone noticed a difference with aftermarket rear control arms? Or should I look into some different springs?
Also, I have 255 nitto 555's, and I will be switching to 285 continental extreme contacts... don't know if anyone has had any luck with those, but opinions would be great.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Control arms are great. Also, go up to 305s or 315s in those nittos. I've never had issues with really hooking on the street and I run the bridgestone re760 in a 295.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Btw the only difference in our cars other than suspension is ur longtubes to my pulleys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
the tires are your issue. Get some M/T drag radials. While lowering springs aren't ideal for 60ft (traction) I've managed a 1.6 with slicks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I'd like to go 305's at minimum, but 285 is about the widest you can go and still have a good selection. I can't complain about my nittos, but I've heard really mixed reviews about them and though I would try something else.
I can't really do drag radials, as my car is my daily driver other than my bike, and I have a 60 mile commute. they would go pretty quick.
brody, u said you have full suspension, what control arms and springs are you running?
thanks for the replies

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
the tires are your issue. Get some M/T drag radials. While lowering springs aren't ideal for 60ft (traction) I've managed a 1.6 with slicks.
where in chicago are you?

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah, I'd like to go 305's at minimum, but 285 is about the widest you can go and still have a good selection. I can't complain about my nittos, but I've heard really mixed reviews about them and though I would try something else.
I can't really do drag radials, as my car is my daily driver other than my bike, and I have a 60 mile commute. they would go pretty quick.
brody, u said you have full suspension, what control arms and springs are you running?
thanks for the replies
Nitto drag radials are good for DD. Much better than the regular Nitto street tire.

I've heard good things about the new Nitto NT05 and the Toyo drag radial.

where in chicago are you?
PM sent

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really? isn't the tread life pretty bad on them? I got a good bit of miles out of my 555's. how would the drag radials compare?

·
Registered
121 Posts
As stated above Drag radials. Some suspension mods will help you too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which mods would help the most? are those lakewood traction action rear control bars any good? And will it still be able to handle well too?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, but he's got independent rear suspension

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
My 315 Nitto 555's won't hook and I only have 3.73 gears. I also have c springs and UPR lowers. Gonna gut the whole rear end and start over when I am rich. Until then, its just gonna spin.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
thanks for the replies
There's plenty of tires available in a 315/35/17 that would work great on the back of your car. If you're serious about hooking up at the track though, just buy another set of wheels and mount some bias ply DOT slicks on there and you can run whatever you want on the street.

As far as suspension new lowers would help a lot, plus then you can ditch your quad shocks. Your lowering springs aren't helping but they aren't going to kill your traction. Try some new lowers and sticky tires and I'll bet it's a world of difference.

Nitto drag radials are good for DD. Much better than the regular Nitto street tire.
A drag radial is not going to be better for a DD than a regular street tire. You'd be going through a set of tires every summer...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
thanks for the replies
Not sure of the brand of control arms but it had upper and lowers when I bought it. Springs are steed sport springs. I highly suggest the re760 for a daily driven car. Hook well for not being a drag radial. I love them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Silly, but

What is hooking? One guy says he hooks to much and another not enough, I don't follow. I get it has to do with traction though.

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks ya'll. I'll look into some lowers and see if that helps first and go from there. Gotta buy 4 tires first, mine are bald. I'll look into those re760's, I'm really not wanting drag radials for a daily driver.
As far as lower control arms go, what would ya'll recommend? Those lakewood traction actions look pretty good for straight line, but i like to autocross and road race my car too, so idk how it would effect the handling.

Hooking is just when your tires "hook up" to the asphalt and your car accelerates without spinning the tires. Right now I spin going to third... and my car does not have that kind of power lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's the three style of control arms I'm thinking about:
These are curved which I can see how it would help transfer weight a little better.
1999-04 Mustang Rear Adjustable Lower Control Arm With Spring Perch & Sway Bar Mount at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

These are straight... other than changing the angle a bit, and less friction I'm not really sure how they would give me more traction
1999-04 Mustang Maximum Motorsports Non-Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arm W/ Spring Perch & Sway Bar Mount at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

These are the lakewoods I was talking about... they kinda work like slapper bars I guess, but i'm worried about how it would effect the handling
Lakewood 21901 Lakewood Traction... Action Lift Bars

Also, I'll be getting some SFC's, are the full length weld in ones significantly better than the bolt on BBK's?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I would go with Extreme duty MM if I were to get those. I think the heavy duty ones are not built for the dragstrip. Yes, welded is better than bolted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts