Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've made a couple threads about my clutch, and i don't really know what could possibly be the issue with it. i'm sorry about the long post, but if you guys can read it and give me some pointers or clues, or even ask more questions about the issues, i'd really appreciate any kind of help you guys can offer. i'm desperate.

when i'm taking off, the clutch takes a second to catch, and during that second, it feels very notchy, like it's missing the "sweet spot", i guess, the feeling of the car lunging forward while slipping the clutch. i have to give it a good amount of gas for it to really give me that solid, lunging forward feeling.
it's a TASK to get perfect shifts every time...

the pedal vibrates all the frickin time. i can hear it over my music sometimes (pretty sure it's the metal piece on the cable that clips to the quadrant) and when i'm coming to a stop, it goes haywire. even though it's the little piece, it goes through my entire pedal. i can touch it with my finger while idling and i can feel it. high revving gears it gets pretty vibrationy, and loud.

it's cyclical though. at random times, the clutch starts to feel really good, like there was never a problem at all with how it was feeling. i can take off from stops well, i can feel the lunging forward feeling with light throttle, etc. but after a week or so of that, it becomes terrible again... the notchy, vibrationy feelings come back. it sounds absolutely hideous most of the time taking off from first. going into second while slipping it, or third, or fourth, and even FIFTH!!!!!!! :eek: i can feel the same thing! there was this one time when the pedal become SO tight that it was borderline ridiculoud and borderline impossible to drive the car smoothly. the spot where it would catch would vary from right off the floor to the very end of the pedals travel.

it seems like i have to, monthly, take out the cable and put it back on, because after it feeling like complete hogshit for a few days right after swapping it back in, it actually feels better for about a week, then goes to complete hell. people have told me it could be the throwout bearing, but after today, i tried spinning it to see if it was seized, and it spun completely fine...

my bellousing may be the problem... i can move it in all freaking directions. up, down, side to side, backwards and forwards.. it almost seems like it is loose somehow. are they supposed to have that much play?

i'm at a loss here. i'll take any kind of advice you guys have to offer...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i mean clutch fork instead of bellhousing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds to me like u need to replace the clutch. Buy a kit that has a throwout bearing and all. While its apart put a new fork in it too. I'm having problems with mine too. Earlier I couldn't get it into any gear for a while. I think my clutch plate is damaged. I can hear a rattling like grinding when the clutch is engaged and it's in neutral.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That is the same problem I am currently having with my clutch. I can move my clutch fork in all directions like you can, but I did not think that would be a problem. Now, I am wondering if that is our problem or part of our problem. Does anyone know if that is a problem?

I thought that my problem had something to do with the adjustable clutch cable that came with my car. I have to adjust it every week or sooner in order to get the car to shift decently. I am thinking of getting an OEM cable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude, phoenix, i had the stock clutch cable at first and it started becoming kind of sticky or almost notchy, but with no vibration and it still worked decent. i then got a new clutch cable, quadrant, and adjuster and it worked really well for a while. i had the clutch adjuster way too tight (screwed out, so more of the threads showed on the actual adjuster) and the clutch grabbed way far up the travel of the pedal. closer to my seat than the floor. so i got it adjusted to the proper area and it hasn't worked well since then. i've busted two adjustable cables, but the actual cable didn't break, the lining of the rubber casing shot metal threads through the top and bottom of the casing, where the plastic pieces were. so after that, i put the stock cable back in, and the cable is strong as hell, but my clutch is just absolutely terrible feeling now.

i'm afraid the spline shaft... the main shaft inside the tranny is bent or something. that would be terrible, and hopefully that isn't it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anybody have anything else to offer about this? i know some of you guys might have an idea.. 2 comments is kind of weak...

·
Registered
784 Posts
I created a thread a while back asking questions similar to the ones you asked, but no one answered. :(
I will check your thread today and tomorrow to see if someone shares an idea, an answer, or something.

Edit: Evan, I found a thread related to this one. It might have the answer to our problem - look for Jazzer the Cat's posts. Here is the thread; http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/210382-why-my-clutch-so-stiff.html .

·
Registered
275 Posts
spounds like your clutch is misaligned. did you replace the cluch recently and if so did you use the tool to line it up and get all new bolts or the pressure plate to the flywheel??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no it's still the stock clutch. OK, so here is another thing i noticed... i did a test of how it vibrates, and this is what i did....

i sat on level ground, in first gear, from a stop. i let the clutch out enough to hear the crunchy sound of it, i guess, catching the disc and all. WHEN i gave it a slight amount of gas, i would hear some crunching, then it would go smooth, then crunching, then smooth, then shorter intervals of crunching and smoothness until it caught into gear finally. it goes through longer intervals of crunching and no crunching, like something is way off.

if it's misaligned, how would it become misaligned if it's still the stock clutch? any other ideas?

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I have a problem with a shaking pedal too, the noisiness is metal on metal contact on the quadrant I have. I figured it was always prone to vibration, just that the old quadrant fit better, so it didn't vibrate all the way to the pedal.

My car makes the same crunching noise at low rpm when shifting. You're talking about trying to change to a higher gear and engaging the clutch between 1-1.5k rpms? That's pretty normal from what I gather. I got 4.10 rear gears and the problem virtually disappeared. I'm just able to get out of that rpm range a bit quicker. Once engaged though, I don't hear the crunchiness anymore until I descend into the 1-1.3k rpm range again and then try to accelerate.

·
Smokin' Hot Blonde
774 Posts
I had a similar issue a while back -> it ended up being a really minor misalignment with the flywheel. If you haven't done it yet, I would double check that.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
going into second while slipping it, or third, or fourth, and even FIFTH!!!!!!! :eek: i can feel the same thing! there was this one time when the pedal become SO tight that it was borderline ridiculoud and borderline impossible to drive the car smoothly. the spot where it would catch would vary from right off the floor to the very end of the pedals travel.
Feeling it in every gear is a GOOD THING! Means it the clutch and not the tranny,

no it's still the stock clutch. OK, so here is another thing i noticed... i did a test of how it vibrates, and this is what i did...
How many miles are on your car? May be time for a new clutch.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
about 55000 miles. i guess it might be the clutch. but what would make it feel that way? i thought when ytou needed a new clutch it would just become very slippy, and not super rough. it grabs onto gear pretty good still, although sometimes i can feel a slight hesitation when mashing first gear though right after engaging it

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
about 55000 miles. i guess it might be the clutch. but what would make it feel that way? i thought when ytou needed a new clutch it would just become very slippy, and not super rough. it grabs onto gear pretty good still, although sometimes i can feel a slight hesitation when mashing first gear though right after engaging it
The clutch material could be breakin apart or maybe the pressure plate is goin. No matter what the case your gonna wanna drop the tranny and have a look. Might be a good idea to have parts on hand. Take a look and replace anything thats needed

·
Registered
697 Posts
It sounds like the flywheel needs to be resurfaced and is no longer true. Which would explain the rough engagement.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
how hard do you drive your car?
before the problem were you slamming gear's?
sound's like your clutch is fried and the flywheel could be warped causing the vibration's.
When i use to machine flywheel's i hated the guy's with honda's because they use to beat on them and would take me hour's to get the damn thing smoothe.
I quicky read your post so i could be missing somehthing but do you have an aftermarket cable or anything cause i know alot of people are having problem's with them lately.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Wow I'm glad this thread has already been started. I have an almost identicle problem as yours. I recently had my clutch adjusted a couple of days ago. I have a steeda adjustable clutch cable and quadrant. Spec stage 3+ clutch. Here is my problem, for a couple of weeks everytime i would push in my clutch pedal I would get a loud hissing sound coming from the TOB. I heard spec TOB's are junk so i thought that could be the problem. Then yesterday I was just driving around and suddenly my clutch pedal started rattling like crazy and I lost the ability to shift in any gear. I ordered a new fork and TOB hoping this will fix my problem. Really hope it isnt anything serious :/

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
you should still have about 35% of your clutch left at 55k miles... unless you cant drive lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had a similar issue. The alignment of the pressure plate on the flywheel had been compromised due to one of the flywheel dowels sheering off. Like said before you may have an alignment issue. I would replace the clutch, resurface the fly, also your fork and fork pivot ball may be warn from the vibration.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts