1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
it sounds like you have to much slack in your clutch cable. when properly ajusted the tob should lightly ride on the splines of the pressure plate. a test i do is i pull on the clutch cable and you should have about 1/8th inch gap between the clutch cable and the fire wall ajuster.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Another measure is to adjust for 1.0" to 1.4" free play in the pedal. If the cable is too tight (as in the throwout lever hitting the firewall) the ToB could be binding up the clutch--though it sounds like you've been through the full range of adjustment, just thought I'd mention it...

One other thought is that with a finger of the Belleville spring bent it is possible that the spring is cracked--this would cause it to twist up when loaded which could also bind up the clutch.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's too bad it's all back together, you can see most of the spring by peeking in around the PP...

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That is pretty much toasted. Was it new, what brand?

Part of me is wondering if that is the result of the bent spring finger...

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Have you ever seen my Spec clutch failure collage? These are all individual instances, collected from the web a years or so ago--in fewer than 10 minutes:

I am not a fan...

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
my TOB looked worse then that when mine went lol. Just curious, when you do press in the clutch, is it "easy" or does it have some resistive force to it?

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Alright well tried reinstalling the clutch lastnight and still a no go. Clutch is completely locked up against the pressure plate. I guess the Bent spring the PP is causeing this. Any advise on a good clutch to hold around 460rwhp? Centerforce is too expensive unless the DF is enought to hold my power. Will a RAM HD be able to hold the power?
Here's a pic of the pressure plate....

That's the bent spring up around 1:00? Since you are getting good at this, if the Belleville spring is not cracked you might try cutting the bent spring out completely. It's a definite kludge, but it might work.

FWIW, the RAM HD is rated by RAM to 650HP. I have had their HDX clutch in my '03 GT for 20k+ miles now and am very pleased with it...

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
are you sure your not putting the disk in backwards. that is the only time i have ever heard of this happening.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts