Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been a busy little rascal so far, I bought my GT with 35K on it, and the guy before me said it was maintained accordingly. I should've known better. I Go to take the spark plugs out, and I broke one! BUT, the car has 65K on the odometer. I know this is a huge problem with everybody that is planning on doing plugs themselves.

Before i started doing this I promised myself I wouldn't rush, and I didn't. I drove the car around until she reached her operating temp. Parked her in the garage, for a good 40-45 minutes. She was nice and cool to the touch. Coils off, and when I had the plugs exposed, I blew the hole out with compressed air to get the dust and stuff off. Now, I don't know how many of you have done this, but instead of carb cleaner or Aekroil... I used PB Blaster... Just a little bit, and I waited 15-20 minutes. (I wasn't gonna rush) Gave them just over 1/4 turn. And, another shot of PB. *We call it monkey piss down south FYI* waited another good 20-25 minutes this time around.

Started to take them off. First one came out PERFECT! Dirty ass all hell, but in one piece nonetheless. Second one felt the same, taking my time, I pull it out, and what do you know, BROKE! Broke the porcelain part!!! I haven't cussed that hard in a long time guys. All my dreams shattered. Called my buddy at the Lincoln dealer, he made some calls for me, and found me a Lisle 3V tool about 30mins of drive away. I called NAPA in Antioch, IL and had them put it on hold. I kept pulling the plugs off, the rest came out in one piece. THANK GOD!!!! I LOVE MONKEY PISS aka PB Blaster. If it wasn't for PB and patience I'd be in a lot of trouble.

The Lisle tool is SO EASY to use. Just like the plugs, it needs patience. It does on what it's designed to do, and it does it well. Push the porcelain in, and then thread the head of the plug and out it comes.

Other than that, I also changed the fuel filter. Which I thought was more of a headache than a broken spark plug LOL... I used just the OEM jack, and I could fit my arm down under it to pretty much do all the work. The thing that sucked is spilling all of them fuel on my shop rags and stinking up the place. If you have the fuel filter ready in one hand, you can swap the old and the new in pretty quick. Between getting the car jacked, finding the right sockets, taking the old off, replacing the old, and setting the car back down probably took 20 minutes. Just make sure you take out relay 21 and turn the key before taking the old off or you'll spray fuel everywhere. (fuel pump relay) And before starting it back up, make sure to turn ignition on and off 3-4 times to fill the filter.

Sorry this is longer than I thought it was going to be.

I hope I didn't bore anyone, I was just excited to have a day off, and give my lady some much needed attention.

[/IMG]

A lot worse then I expected...

Again, I hope I didn't bore you guys.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
That's about how my plugs looked at 40k when I changed them. I used pb blaster too. I got lucky none broke. Glad it all worked out.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Be glad only one plug broke, 3v 4.6 & 5.4 are notorious for giving issues cause the smart people at Ford installed steel plugs in aluminum heads with no anti seize. I swapped my plugs at 20k to avoid any issues but some people have true horror stories

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Bob... I know rambled on for too long. Jeez. I think I really got lucky, patience paid off.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Bob... I know rambled on for too long. Jeez. I think I really got lucky, patience paid off.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i'm dreading changing the plugs on my wifes 06 3V expedition. it has 105k and would bet they've never been touched

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USE MONKEY PISS!!! It's not that bad, just be patient.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
think i'll try it while i'm home for a week before going overseas. i'd hate to get ripped off by a shop that doesn't do the procedure and just breaks all of them.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a quote from a local shop and it was something like $280 or so... Efff that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My 06 just broke 30k domineed to be careful. I have been thinking of dping it soon to avoidvthis same dilema

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Be glad only one plug broke, 3v 4.6 & 5.4 are notorious for giving issues cause the smart people at Ford installed steel plugs in aluminum heads with no anti seize. I swapped my plugs at 20k to avoid any issues but some people have true horror stories
This isn't why the spark plugs break or seize. The plugs seize and break in the head because of the two piece design. Carbon builds up and creates issue on removal. The anti-seize isn't for the threads, it's for the barrel of the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
well ford service techs were told differently and get a quote for your first spark plug change from ford and its around 1000 bones
No they weren't unless they were told wrong by someone who didn't know. The TSBs and the FoMoCo memos to service managers say nothing about that.. I digress though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
wow....I had no clue that this was a problem but then again this is the first 3v i've owned, what's the best brand of spark plugs to replace with? Or is it best to just go with the factory replacement motorcraft?

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow....I had no clue that this was a problem but then again this is the first 3v i've owned, what's the best brand of spark plugs to replace with? Or is it best to just go with the factory replacement motorcraft?
If you're talking about your 2010 don't worry about this. This only happens on 05-06 and I believe early 07 models. I'm not positive on 07 though. But, if you have 05-06, you're stuck...:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts