Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys ive owned my mustang for a couple months now and ive been getting some of the kinks out of it.But my latest problem is the insturment cluster dosent light up,so i think my dimmer switch isnt working but im not really sure and not sure about how to check if its good or not.any help would be very much appretiated thnx

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Just looked at a spare one that's in my basement. There are 4 points on it that make contact to the connector. 2 silver in color and two brass. Not sure which are what in the switch, but looking at this diagram http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxLights-Radio_diag.gif it looks like you could just jumper the brown wire and the blue wires together at the connector to see if you get dash lights. This is all hypothetical as I haven't had to try this myself, but that looks to be the way it is. The other two wires jumpered together would prolly turn the domelight on as it's a different circuit. If I were to guess, I would say that this dimmer is dpdt (double pole, double throw) meaning that it can dim two different circuits.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, the full on position is the dome light, so it wouldn't be dpdt. Not sure where my head was when I was writing that. So full on would close the contacts for the dome light only.

·
Registered
77 Posts
May also want to pull ur cluster out and see if ur getting power at the back of the cluster on the light circuit. If you get power there trying rotating the dimmer and see if it changes the amount of voltage. I will say though that at work we get a lot of mustangs in that have problems with the headlight/dimmer switch assembly, assuming u have the pull out head light switch that rotates to dim the interior lights. A lot of times the connector gets burned OR the switch just fails internally. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k ima have a look at the switch today. so the blue wire is like power in and the brown is power out?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Every light on my 83 worked but the dash lights. I used a piece of wire and touched the light brown with black to the one front most of the switch. Lights came on in dash. I am gonna drop the dimmer which is problematic anyhow and just wire a newer style switch in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem. My 89's dash doesn't light up. I took the dimmer switch out, and it seems it works. I did notice that when the dimmer is plugged in, and all the way dimmed, the fuse doesn't pop, but as soon as it gets turned most of the way up, the fuse blows. I get no lights when the dimmer is dimmed at any point, even if the fuse is good. Any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts