Modded Mustang Forums banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Awesome "first" car man! My first car was a 78 Toyota Celica, and I was thrilled to have it, Can't imagine having a Cobra for a first. I'm gonna sound old, but, please be careful in that thing, they can get happy in the rear end real quick like!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I got my gt at 17, still here. No wrecks or tickets *knock on wood*
Same here. It's only been about a year though. *double knock on wood*

Now what really pisses me off is when someone starting talking bad about your car, yet they didn't even buy theirs. Had a friend do that to me in high school behind my back. I paid cash for my 67, but 4 months later to out do me he has his parents buy him a 68 for 12k. Then starts talking about how much better "his" car was than mine. I don't think he ever spent a dime on that car, just used his parents credit card to pay for everything.
I couldn't agree more. I got talked down to a lot because I wasn't handed a car the second I turned 16. A year later I paid cash for my GT and it was in the running for best car.

As far as "learning a car's limits" I've had my share of close calls in my car that definatly helped me learn how to drive safely in the rain and avoid accidents. I know for a fact I'm not the best driver and I do some stupid stuff some times. But I drive better than 99% of the kids at my school. I think one thing is I bought my car myself and I respect it. I never let anyone drive it. I know if anything happens to it, it's on me and I probably won't be able to get another car very soon.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Congrats on your first car, and one hell of a platform to start off with. I had a GT at 17 and my brother had his at 16. Neither one of us totalled ours. He did have a fender bender but there was no fault given.

As for the "cobra being treated like a cobra". I'm pretty sure Cobras deserve to be taken care of in a pristine manor. I always hang my head when I see guys with Cobras doing burnouts and dumping the clutch. Easy on her, she's a Cobra...you don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I put loud exhaust/long tubes/and an X-pipe on my GT and let the exhaust talk for me. No need to race people or waste the gas.

·
MoM Fanatic
5,055 Posts
Nice. Too much car for a 16 year old. Please prove us wrong by being safe!
My first vehicle was a 2005 chevy colorado with boltons and i was a dumass with it, i wasnt a bad drivee but pedal to the medal everywhere. I cant imagine if i woulda had a car id prob be hurt bad

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Nice. Too much car for a 16 year old. Please prove us wrong by being safe!
My first vehicle was a 2005 chevy colorado with boltons and i was a dumass with it, i wasnt a bad drivee but pedal to the medal everywhere. I cant imagine if i woulda had a car id prob be hurt bad
Succeed where I failed. Atleast my damage was not catastrophic.

That mobile device thingy

·
Broke as F*ck!!
2,725 Posts
Lots of negativity in this thread...Just drive like a grandma. Be scared of the car and what it could do. Know EXACTLY where everyone else driving around you is AT ALL TIMES. Be aware, not distracted. Ever. I have never had an accident driving like this, and I'm 19.

The "treat a Cobra like a Cobra" mentality will get your ass killed in a heartbeat. My first car was a 85 camaro, didn't come with airbags from the factory. I swapped a built 388 stroker into. I built the motor, trans, set up the rear gears, nobody else has worked on the car. It was a race car. Had I driven it like one, I would have been dead a couple years ago. I guarantee it has more torque than your Cobra, but I'm still here.

I don't have any picture of my totaled first car because, well, I still have it. Be smart. Be careful. DO NOT GET COCKY!

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
Congrats on your first car, and one hell of a platform to start off with. I had a GT at 17 and my brother had his at 16. Neither one of us totalled ours. He did have a fender bender but there was no fault given.

As for the "cobra being treated like a cobra". I'm pretty sure Cobras deserve to be taken care of in a pristine manor. I always hang my head when I see guys with Cobras doing burnouts and dumping the clutch. Easy on her, she's a Cobra...you don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I put loud exhaust/long tubes/and an X-pipe on my GT and let the exhaust talk for me. No need to race people or waste the gas.
Your old GT was the tits :drool

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can definitely back up the mentality that most high schoolers drive bad. Doesn't mean everyone does, I'm still in high school and am a good driver. I just made a habit of being fully aware of everything happening around me. I know my boundaries and my car's, and I stay within that. I like a little speed, but I know I'm not driving a race car, and neither are the people around me. Yet people don't really have common sense, regardless of their age.

I have had one close call since I started driving. It was in a residential area, and I was a three way intersection. The asshats that live on the two corners like to park their 50+ cars in such a way that your view of any through traffic is obstructed until you are already in their path. You're playing roulette just pulling out from the intersecting street. Well one particular morning, I pulled out and another vehicle nearly hit me, but they got stopped. I avoid that intersection now.

So far though, the highlight was seeing a hellaflush Honda kill it right infront of a city po at an intersection.

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
My drivers ed teacher didn't tell me ****. We listened to ESPN radio while he just told me where to turn.

Also lucked out on getting pulled over today too lol.

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
Your dad seriously bought you a modified Cobra for a first car, and is 'teaching you the limits' in a parking lot? :facepalm:

That just spells disaster. Most kids when they "know the limits" of their cars, push them, then when the unexpected happens, like a rock/animal is in the road, while hauling around a corner, they dont know how to handle it and end up killing themselves, friends, and other innocent drivers. I've seen it over and over again at work, i'm a tow truck driver, where kids are hauling around the backroads with a bunch of friends and they lose control of their car and end up killing their friends that are just along for the ride.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, prove me wrong, and drive responsibly! It doesnt hurt to get on it every once in a while, but NEVER push the limits on the road. Take to to a track. There are plenty of autocross's set up monthly in each state where you can rip around the track to get it out of your system. Remember, it's usually not you that you kill, its the other person.

Londonderry Fire Company - Fatal Crash on Schoolhouse Road

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
Congratulations buddy! Be safe, drive smart, and please and I can not stress this enough. Please think about the consequences of your actions. With great power comes great responsiblity. Do not drive stupid with passengers in the car. Enjoy it, appreciate it, and never drive faster than your angels can fly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Congratulations buddy! Be safe, drive smart, and please and I can not stress this enough. Please think about the consequences of your actions. With great power comes great responsiblity. Do not drive stupid with passengers in the car. Enjoy it, appreciate it, and never drive faster than your angels can fly.
+1 man reps

·
2001 Mustang!
23 Posts
Just got my first car which is why I joined. 2001 srs. I'm in love needs a little things touched up. But I'm in love. Yours is super nice

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just got my first car which is why I joined. 2001 srs. I'm in love needs a little things touched up. But I'm in love. Yours is super nice
haha so its a 2001 mustang V6? oh and SRS stands for safety restraint system (airbags) make sure to post up in the New members thread and :welcome

161 - 180 of 191 Posts