Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started off with the OEM 99-00 clear chrome mustang headlights. I didnt really like them much so I decided to black them out with some vht nightshade

I loved them for a while, but after a couple of months they became yellowish and the clear coat started to break and become uneven, and it started getting really hard to see at night

So two weeks ago I sanded them down to what they originally looked like

quickly I remember why I didnt like them so I went to a junkyard and found these 01/04 OEM ones, but they were broken on the back so water kept getting in and the plastic wasnt very clear

So finally I decided to paint my stock ones, I took them apart, painted and put back together. tomorrow Im going to seal them and install

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Looks great, well done.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
looks good, ill be doing the same thing

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
How did you take them apart? I'd love to rip the orange reflectors out of my stockers.

·
( o )( o )
276 Posts
Heat the lamp up. Some people use heat guns, some put them in the oven. You will have to be careful and pry the lens away from the housing. Also be careful with the black silicon and not to get it everywhere.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
why dont you just pay for new ones? lol
Because of the personal satisfaction that comes from doing something yourself?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Polar up pics when finished. And let us know how u like em! Look good!

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
why dont you just pay for new ones? lol
Because I just got a fixit ticket for my smoked headlights and don't feel like buying another set again. :no

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont just buy new ones cause im broke as **** lol, just installed them and they look great, im really happy with how they came out :)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To do it I popped them in the oven for 8 minutes at 250 degrees and used a flat screw driver to take them apart (scary) then popped them back in the oven for another 8 minutes and pit them back together. Then I sealed them with some advance auto parts silicone.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pictures of the final product:
before:

After:

I realized the ISO was really high after I took these pictures lol

Not too bad for 7 bucks (the silicone I used to seal them)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts