Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and a new Mustang owner. I decided I'm too poor to keep my 2006 F-150 so it's going back to the dealer on Wednesday since the lease is up then. To keep myself mobile, I bought an 2005 4.0L Mustang recently. The car is stock except for 19" Zinik wheels. It's got 44k miles on it and the guy said it's been serviced regularly. The only complaint he had about the car was the Shaker stereo in it.

I took the car to my mechanic a few days ago to have them inspect it. They told me it needed the following:
Air Filter - $56 parts / $0 labor
Serpentine Belt - $52 parts / $70 labor
Oil Change - $23 parts / $3 labor
Ball Joints - $342 parts / $112 labor
Rear Shocks - $102 parts / $30 labor
Brake flush - $0 parts / $90 labor
Power Steering Flush - $0 parts / $90 labor
Coolant Flush - $0 parts / $90 labor
Battery - $103 parts / $7.50 labor
Total - $678 parts / $492.50 labor = $1,170.25 + tax

This is way out of my price range. Are these ninety dollar flushes really necessary? And if so, can I do these myself? Where can I find instructions on how to do these?

I'm sure I can find an air filter and serpentine belt cheaper than that.
My main question is whether I can use the GT500 Cobra Front Lower Control Arms from stangsuspension.com on my car.

I also found OEM LCA's at VarsityFordParts.com for $236 for the pair and rear shocks for $64 for the pair. I haven't done much mechanically before and am not sure if I'll have a problem trying to do this myself.

Also, everytime I hit any bump in the road, the wheel jerks and the car wants to veer. What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
welcome to the forums.

it sound like 2 problems.

1) whoever had that car before you beat the everloving **** out of it
2) your mechanic is trying to screw you.

those prices are too expensive btw.

$56.00 air filter? come on.. unless your buying a K @ N

a belt is like $20.00 and $15-$20 labor if anything

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
+1 on doc,
and i don't think that you can use the gt500 LCA's on our cars it'll be a different suspension, hell mines a little different than yours.
and Welcome to MM
feel free to ask more, i might not know a whole lot about our cars yet but i know some, and i'm sure i can find out if i dont :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
welcome to the forums....

sounds like the mechanic is wanting to get you for all your worth....keep looking around.

btw if you have any more questions feel free to ask, with everyone on here with their own expertise they should be able to answer any of your questions

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mechanics love to throw the shocks thing at u.. My last car he tried to pull that on me and my car onnly had 30k miles. most of that crap doesnt seem ness. Does ur car start okay?.. then it doesnt need a battery. take it somewhere else

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ya i think the macanic you took it to is trying to screw you they trided the same thing with me when i first got my car, but then when i wasent a dubm ass and said i would check for my self and do the work my self they just gave up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welocme to MM! Your going for a ride on the mechanic stealer highway!!

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and a new Mustang owner. I decided I'm too poor to keep my 2006 F-150 so it's going back to the dealer on Wednesday since the lease is up then. To keep myself mobile, I bought an 2005 4.0L Mustang recently. The car is stock except for 19" Zinik wheels. It's got 44k miles on it and the guy said it's been serviced regularly. The only complaint he had about the car was the Shaker stereo in it.

I took the car to my mechanic a few days ago to have them inspect it. They told me it needed the following:
Air Filter - $56 parts / $0 labor ---------$20
Serpentine Belt - $52 parts / $70 labor --$20 that takes about 5min to do they're rapping you on labor
Oil Change - $23 parts / $3 labor ---thats an ok price
Ball Joints - $342 parts / $112 labor ---lol thats WAY over like over $200 over
Rear Shocks - $102 parts / $30 labor
Brake flush - $0 parts / $90 labor
Power Steering Flush - $0 parts / $90 labor ---$90 for 30min:eek:
Coolant Flush - $0 parts / $90 labor ------$90 for 30min
Battery - $103 parts / $7.50 labor ---its $80 for a 3 year battery at advanced auto parts
Total - $678 parts / $492.50 labor = $1,170.25 + tax

This is way out of my price range. Are these ninety dollar flushes really necessary? And if so, can I do these myself? Where can I find instructions on how to do these?

I'm sure I can find an air filter and serpentine belt cheaper than that.
My main question is whether I can use the GT500 Cobra Front Lower Control Arms from stangsuspension.com on my car.

I also found OEM LCA's at VarsityFordParts.com for $236 for the pair and rear shocks for $64 for the pair. I haven't done much mechanically before and am not sure if I'll have a problem trying to do this myself.

Also, everytime I hit any bump in the road, the wheel jerks and the car wants to veer. What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

edited:)

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
also i dont see how they can flush your coolant and power sterring and brakes with outhaving a parts charge
does nothing go back in?
also they should throw in a free fuel filter change

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did they say that two really hot blonds will "entertaine" you in the waiting room while they rape you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
don't fall for that.. one gives you a BJ while the other steals your wallet.

I have had my wallet stolen 4 times this week alone :mad:
ROFL!!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all, thanks for the responses guys!

+1 on doc,
and i don't think that you can use the gt500 LCA's on our cars it'll be a different suspension, hell mines a little different than yours.
and Welcome to MM
feel free to ask more, i might not know a whole lot about our cars yet but i know some, and i'm sure i can find out if i dont :D
The reason I thought they might possibly work is cause the description of those LCA's on the website is:

"Ford Racing is now offering the OEM Shelby GT500 front control arms as a performance upgrade for base model Mustangs. These lower front control arms feature increased strength balljoints and stiffer durometer bushings for an increase in handling and performance."

I wasn't sure if that meant they'd work on mine or they would require additional mods to fit right, etc.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
ahh
see i'm a tard lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
NEW MECHANIC!

Did you take it to a dealer or something??

Should have asked them if they'd like you to bend over then!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts