Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Explorer XLT 4x4. 4.0L SOHC V6. 102,000 miles.

24k miles on new transmission.

1250 bucks, safetied, e-tested.

I am so stoked to own a truck it's not even funny.

Anyway. Just an ole' used 4x4, but I love her so.

In fact I have already hugged, fondled, and kissed it.

But it was totally asking for it :drool

·
Registered
641 Posts
Verry nice man.. looks pretty clean.. good buy.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The interior looks pretty clean! I have those same floor mats in my 'sploder.
Yeah I got lucky. It's in good enough shape that I do believe I'm going to take it in eventually and have the carpet and seats shampooed.

And give me back my floor mats! :mad:

:shiftyeyes

Verry nice man.. looks pretty clean.. good buy.
Thanks mang

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Bout time!

That truck was such a steal, you got real lucky with that one man.

How do those tires handle the snow?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bout time!

That truck was such a steal, you got real lucky with that one man.

How do those tires handle the snow?
Thanks dude. :)

I dunno Al. No snow yet. I am a tad concerned about the rears. I went and talked to my tire dude cuz I wasn't sure about them. They're new, but as I thought, my tire guy told me they are a car or light pickup type of tire. Not an A/T suv type. And they don't match up well with the front A/T's.

So I might spring for Michelin A/T's to match the fronts. They're only 15's, so even a good Michelin LTX A/T is under 200 bucks here. I can get into a no-name Cooper type of A/T for around a buck 25 or so.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
1250. dang that was a good buy. I know it be cheaper to buy just two rears, but I didn't really care for the Michelin's I had on my truck, seemed to roar. Cooper FTW.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yer thanks man :)

I'm more concerned about performance in snow than noise level. I can just turn up the radio a little

:lol

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
This one going to get some subs and some nice speakers? I have put a few systems in explorers and they seem to sound really good... with all the driving you do I bet it would be beneficial.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one going to get some subs and some nice speakers? I have put a few systems in explorers and they seem to sound really good... with all the driving you do I bet it would be beneficial.
You know, Matt, when I got it I thought "Meh, throw my Sirius in and call it a day."

But yesterday I was thinking about putting the Mustang back to stock, and throwing the big system in the truck. The extra weight would only help in the snow. lol

It does make it nice to have a good system on a long drive.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
I really want to put a 'system' in my truck, since I drive so much.... its got a good head unit in it and good rear speakers... I just need door speakers, a 10 inch sub, an amp and a regular cab sub box.... I bet it would really wake up my truck... actually hear the system over the sound of my truck... LOL

I seriously had to have the system all the way up to just hear it when it had the stock head unit... but now wth the new deck, i dont have that problem, but i still have crappy door speakers, so it does not sound that great...

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it really does help pass the time if you have a long drive. It's the only reason I put one in the Stang. I certainly wasn't thrilled about adding 100 lbs to the car, but after you've made a 240 mile one way commute for 12 years, you look for different ways to pass time.

That and it's hard to fall asleep at the wheel after a 70 hour work week with 140 db crushing your skull.

:lol

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts

I dunno Al. No snow yet. I am a tad concerned about the rears. I went and talked to my tire dude cuz I wasn't sure about them. They're new, but as I thought, my tire guy told me they are a car or light pickup type of tire. Not an A/T suv type. And they don't match up well with the front A/T's.

So I might spring for Michelin A/T's to match the fronts. They're only 15's, so even a good Michelin LTX A/T is under 200 bucks here. I can get into a no-name Cooper type of A/T for around a buck 25 or so.
Nah man, pass on the Michelins.

I have these on my Expedition and they are fantastic tires. Obviously I can't comment on the snow performance, but all the reviews say this tire is strong in the snow.

What I can comment on though, is that these tires ride excellent, are awesome in the rain, they are quiet, and they are decent off road.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

And maybe you could give these a look. I have always heard good things about them and they have good reviews in all categories.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

The good thing about Discount Tire Direct, is that they have free shipping to Canada.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
what kind of gas mileage does it get? and was that something that you were concerned with?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of gas mileage does it get? and was that something that you were concerned with?
So far I'm averaging 24 on the hwy, which is all I do with it.

I knew I was not going to get superb mileage with a 4x4, but it certainly is a consideration with the length of drive I have. Anything over 20 was acceptable for me to have 4wd.

So something like an older Suburban or a Durango would have been out of the question.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Good buy Zip :yes

My aunt has an explorer and loves it to death. She has had the car for almost 7 years now and zero problems. And +1 to the BFGs. Alot of my buddies have them on their trucks as well. There really good A/T tires.

·
eeeee!
7,204 Posts

I have 31 inch BFG All Terrains on my Explorer, I have had them on there since January of 2006 and they still have 50% tread left, and almost 70k on them. In the U.S they won't put anything larger than stock (28 inch) on explorers, so I just brought my rims down to the tire place, but I doubt they have that stupid law in moose land.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have 31 inch BFG All Terrains on my Explorer, I have had them on there since January of 2006 and they still have 50% tread left, and almost 70k on them. In the U.S they won't put anything larger than stock (28 inch) on explorers, so I just brought my rims down to the tire place, but I doubt they have that stupid law in moose land.
lol @ moose land

No, but we have other stupid laws. :lol

I'ma check out a price on those BFG's at my dealer. They get awesome prices on tires.

Discount tire does ship free to Canada, but they also wanted 120 dollars in tariffs for 2 lousy tires, bringing the price up to what I would pay here for the more expensive Michelin. lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts