Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these 2 nights ago... its the ONLY parking garage I know of in Fargo/Moorhead and it has orange lighting.... fml.

I did what I could, but none of them really POP to me, and say "Damn, that's a good picture!".

any advice?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
try to shoot at different angles , I am no professional photographer either haha. But your cobra looks bad ass man

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
In the day photos, the background is your light source. Since it's so bright, you're taking pictures of the "shadow" side of the car and it appears as a black silhouette.

For the night pictures under light, you need to mess with the white balance on the photos. All the photos have a yellow hue due to the lights (it's very common). Changing the white balance should allow you to make them appear more natural without going into a photo program.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also kinda noticed, you were a bit far from the car, and not centered, mainly taking the picture of the car drom a bit too high, Try kneeling or different heights

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
What kind of camera?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot about that parking ramp by the bank. Ill check to see if it has white lights instead of this one by the moorhead mall.

nikon d3000 is the camera I'm using with the standard lens using a tripod. Although some are not 100% focused, I tossed a lot out I took.

after adding some blue to the picture to balance the orange/yellow:

:dunno i think i just need to find better angles. :(

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Tripod + long exposure.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Custom white balance is mandatory when shooting a dark vehicle period.

As mentioned, the day shots needed to be shot with the lightsource behind you. The camera metered on the bright white background and left the car under exposed. Black is the absolute hardest to shoot and requires far more effort to land stellar shots. So go into it expecting to throw a lot of shots away.

The yellow garage lighting can be compensated for via the custom white balance on camera or after the fact in post process. Key is to not have anything involving clean white light in the frame because it will color to blue when the compensation occurs for the yellow tungsten light.

To learn the ramifications of lighting, find a neutral tone location, then move to a bright location and also try a dimmer dark location. Each is very extreme to the other on black vehicles. Far more so than any other color.

·
1,901 Posts
You're doing something wrong. I shoot all of my pictures with a D3000 too and even my unedited pictures off the camera come out 100% better than yours, they look like P&S pictures. What kind of image quality are you shooting with? What camera settings?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Vita, also why are you crusing my campus, stay on your side of the river! Let me know about the bank parking ramp maybe I will meet you there to get some shots done as well it could be just the car in the pics!? jk

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're doing something wrong. I shoot all of my pictures with a D3000 too and even my unedited pictures off the camera come out 100% better than yours, they look like P&S pictures. What kind of image quality are you shooting with? What camera settings?

Id have to go back and look, Im guessing Im just not getting the whole exposure thing correct. Plus, me + advanced settings are non-existant. the only way I know how to change the exposer is going to "guide" and going through the menu. :tomato

Vita, also why are you crusing my campus, stay on your side of the river! Let me know about the bank parking ramp maybe I will meet you there to get some shots done as well it could be just the car in the pics!? jk
1, I have NDSU campus. people walk in front of you like your 3000+ lb car wont hurt them. Im going to rig up a damn air horn next time... they might walk in front, but they'll be deaf when they get to class.
2, Ill let ya be in the pics when i figure it out, but you need to be in the distance. your termi would steal the show... :p

Looks pretty damn good to me.
Thanks... Im trying! haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts