Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulled my car out of the shed today. Well, I got issues. Car dies under load while driving unless I baby the throttle. TPS prolly took a ****. Also have a check engine light that appeared right before I put it away last year, and no, I haven't done the code check yet since I have a buddy with a 14k dollar scan tool to do that for me (but his shop is 30 miles away), and it didn't die on me last year when the light first came on. And I'm still not 100% sure my 255 is any good. The fp dies off pretty quickly when I shut the key off, and when it's running (parked) and I give it throttle, the fp drops, not raises. I pulled the vac line off and the vac is still pretty decent as I rev it, so I may not be revving high enough for vac to drop off, but I still don't think it should drop like it does.

So now I have to chase this car dying thing under load. And my brakes still suck from not enough vacuum or something. Sometimes I hate my car :mad: Ideas are welcome...

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barely got it to the gas station to put more in, but it NEVER has that issue, nor any other car I've ever stored. Wife's was put away the same time too, but pulled out a little earlier, but still.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Man, I was messing with my car last night, and my aeromotive is annoying. It's not really that loud, but it's kind of a high pitch hum, and it's going to drive me crazy. When I get the sumped tank in it, I think I'm going to move the pump, and try to insulate it better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clogged fuel filter will show problems under load. It will idle fine but whe you start to go it can not flow enough fuel for the demand.

Pump could be going bad.

Fuel pressure regulator could be going as well.

start with the filter.

If that doesn't fix it get a fuel gauge mount it to the fuel rail and check the specs (30-40psi)? when you rev it should go up to around 60 psi if it does not go up pinch off the return line with a pair of pliers (wrap the line w/ a towel first so you don't mess up the line

if the pressure goes up it is most likely the regulator if not then the pump.

get them codes no sense pissing into the wind

let us know how it goes

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
20 year old cars.....lol

You got to love them

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clogged fuel filter will show problems under load. It will idle fine but whe you start to go it can not flow enough fuel for the demand.

Pump could be going bad.

Fuel pressure regulator could be going as well.

I suspect the pump is going bad. Regulator, maybe. BBK one

start with the filter. Filter is less than 2k on it too, doubting that.
If that doesn't fix it get a fuel gauge mount it to the fuel rail and check the specs (30-40psi)? when you rev it should go up to around 60 psi if it does not go up pinch off the return line with a pair of pliers (wrap the line w/ a towel first so you don't mess up the line

I have the regulator, and it's possible that it's going bad. I have my old regulator (Kirban) but it doesn't have the auxillary port for gauge/nitrous suff that I need. If I have to, I can put that one on and adapt my gauge to the test port on the rail.This is going to be the next step. Deadheading the pump/lines and seeing where I'm loosing the pressure at.

if the pressure goes up it is most likely the regulator if not then the pump.

get them codes no sense pissing into the wind

let us know how it goes
If I can't get it running better to get it to my buddies shop, then I will do the simple code test and go that route. But his Snap On VERUS scan tool is a bad ass scanner, and it's wifi'd to the web and his Shop Key program so I can easily get schematics and whatnot without having to look it all up on Veryusefull.com

I had to chase down a electric fan not working issue on my wife's mustang (99 v6) at his shop yesterday, and I ran out of time before I had to pick up my son from daycare. But I think it may be in the ccrm on her car, but I have to search the pinout on it some more because I drilled the spot rivets on the cover and opened it up to test the relays, and I didn't have power where I should have, but that's another issue. My good electric meter and my spare is at my work (since I'm an electrician) so I may have to make the hour round trip to go get that :mad: I think I'm gonna get out and investigate things today since it's a crappy day out and I got it in the the garage now, out of the shed.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah, update on the check engine light issue. My brother in law cam over last night who is a mechanic, but not much of a diagnosis kind of guy on older fords but I still love him, and when I went to start the car the check engine light was not immediately on and it wouldn't idle without throttle. Then when the check engine light comes on it will idle, then it'll go off again and try to die, then come back on and idle. Process continues for a while before it finally smooths out and light stays on constant. WEIRD! After I get done on this forum, I'll get out there and dick with it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That almost sounds like an IAC acting up. Had the same problem on a 91 Lumina one time. Different car, but same issue when it went bad.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was one of the first things my brother in law said. I've got like 3 of them around here from all the tb's that I've bought and sold, so I'm gonna give that a whirl too. I just have to get off my lazy ass, but I love this forum, lol.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
or try cleaning it;)

I love this forum too....ha ha Its like a drug, right when i think im done and walk away, i find my self wondering whats updated, next thing i know im back on....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Cleaning it is definitely a good option as well! Forums suck if you're in a hurry to get somewhere. :D

Oh I'll just check over the 5.0 section one and see if anyone replied to what I said before I leave. 15 minutes later you're walking out the door.:(

1 - 20 of 84 Posts