Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure it shouldn't be a difficult job. It's leaking because I was on a dirt road to get to a gun range(Thats Texas for ya) and well it put a small bend on my pan and the sealant seem to have slipped out and well I leaked a little fluid. I love my Stang so I plan on fixing it.

I know I gotta jack her up, support the body on jack stands and the rear end as well.

Unbolt the pan and drain rear end.

correct the bend

apply Gasket maker(I got the Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker)

Bolt up pan

take off plug and put in about 3 quarts of differential fluid and done!

Am I doing it rite?

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
im pretty sure thats it, i had the same problem but i just took it to a shop because some idiot there didnt tighten up the bottom bolts and got it done for free:D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, if i were to take it to a shop it would have cost me $250 bucks. Right out the pocket. I only spent 75 bucks for the sealant and fluid. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
You missed one thing friction modifier, Fords part # F3TZ-19B546-MA (WSP-M2C196-MA). It's a 5 oz bottle, put that in first after you have it sealed up then refill with synthetic (3.75 pints) if you can afford it(Mobil 1 80W90). Just a suggestion I would use Permatex "ultra copper" for gasket maker, the material is orange and it’s in an orange tube. I have sealed up a few of those 8.8's and had no problem. Usually the diff covers get bent from jacking the car up under the chunk, if you pay attention and move the jack forward a little you can prevent this problem. I hope this helps.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
put a little permatex on the bolts as well, otherwise your fluid may "walk" up the threads and leak out from the bolts.

You may also want to wear some clothes you are not too fond of. I don't think gear oil ever really comes out of anything and the smell is extremely strong.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You missed one thing friction modifier, Fords part # F3TZ-19B546-MA (WSP-M2C196-MA). It's a 5 oz bottle, put that in first after you have it sealed up then refill with synthetic (3.75 pints) if you can afford it(Mobil 1 80W90). Just a suggestion I would use Permatex "ultra copper" for gasket maker, the material is orange and it’s in an orange tube. I have sealed up a few of those 8.8's and had no problem. Usually the diff covers get bent from jacking the car up under the chunk, if you pay attention and move the jack forward a little you can prevent this problem. I hope this helps.
Well I got the Mobil 1 so that's no problem. The gasket maker i got is the Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker. I got the Ultra black since it hi-temp resistance and oil resistance. The differential cover got bent after i took it on a dirt road.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Ultra Copper is the best gasket maker that Permatex makes, but what you have should do the trick, just need to go to Ford and get the modifier and you’re ready. Also you will need one of those $3 pumps at the parts store to pump the gear oil in with. Note when you jack the car up put your stand under the front control arm joints or the chassis so the rear end hangs down. Don’t put them under the axle tubs. It makes it easer to unscrew the plug in the chunk and refill the oil. Good luck.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
butt plugs and some bondo should do the trick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts