Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reverse gear seems to be harder to get into gear. It seems like it pops out more. Is there anything i can do, besides parking where i don't have to back out to help save it? Today, backing out of a parking lot, it popped out twice, and i finally got it in.

Then my car smelled really bad, i think i smelled the clutch, but its a new spec so im not sure.

And then driving way from the lot (about ten minutes after) it ground into fifth, and i was like WTF so i put it in fourth and went back to fifth and it did it again.

After school, i had no problems with fifth. Sometimes when im goin thru em fast, i grind second, but never had problems with any other gears.

Do you think an aftermarket shifter would help save my syncros?

I know its gonna have to be rebuilt sometime, but i'd like to put that off.

·
Registered
600 Posts
had that happen to me, ending up totally losing reverse and since they're connected it took 5th with it so i'd get it fixed soon

·
Registered
189 Posts
Same deal here. Reverse is a pain to keep in and 5th grinds. Trans is coming out to replace the broken bearing retainer (for the vibrating clutch pedal and noise). At the same time I'm going to replace the 5th/reverse blocker ring and shift fork with the updated ones outlined in the bulletin put out by Ford.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea, its grinding a lot more into fifth now. How much do you think it will cost to get the blocker ring and shift fork replaced? Or how much are parts if i do it myself?
Good question, I haven't gotten to Ford yet to get my stuff, but will within the next week. Plan on a few hundred if Ford does it! I think it should be easy enough to do yourself if your good with a wrench! Just take your time and pay attention to detail when taking things apart, don't just rip it all off and then say, ****, hows that go back on! If I get pricing before you do, I'll let you know. Try the double clutch method into 5th, its much nicer than grinding! And less wear on the 5th gear side of the synchro teeth. Too much grinding into 5th will lead to worn 5th gear and thus replacement of that as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you said that it is a new clutch right? what is the pedal free play it should be about an inch. there are a couple other things but i would first check the pedal free play the clutch might be draging

1 - 8 of 8 Posts