Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I am going to start my custom turbo build.

A few questions to the pro's, please do not chime in if you are a rookie.

Q1: What size would you go with? Right now I am thinking of a TO4E 3" inlet/ 2" discharge. Would that be too small? Should I go for the 4" inlet and a 2.5" discharge? STG V .63 AR.

Q2: Any one know where I can run a oil line to the turbo from? I am going to just drill the pan and add a bung for the return line.

Q3: Where can I find aluminum inter-cooler piping?

My Notes:

I/C 2.5" piping

Will update later.

Your opinion needed on what turbo to use and where to run the oil lines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588d7ba423

That but Spearco and Turbonetics

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Yeah, I know, I know: I'm no expert. But here it goes anyway (these new generation of kids completely disregard things, don't they?)

Since you are going completely custom: what are your goals? Since the general consensus these days is 6PSI boost, I imagine a smaller turbo is necessary...When I read T04E, I think of my T04B and how freakin huge that thing is, and I say that is overkill... In the case of low boost, I'd imagine smaller is better for us, at least for now, and just drill a hole in your engine for some oil. :D

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know, I know: I'm no expert. But here it goes anyway (these new generation of kids completely disregard things, don't they?)

Since you are going completely custom: what are your goals? Since the general consensus these days is 6PSI boost, I imagine a smaller turbo is necessary...When I read T04E, I think of my T04B and how freakin huge that thing is, and I say that is overkill... In the case of low boost, I'd imagine smaller is better for us, at least for now, and just drill a hole in your engine for some oil. :D
There is so much room in the engine bay I though why the hell not you know?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
What is your price range? I would go with a pte. "e" cover will be fine. Check out this site to see where you want to end up and what turbo is gonna work for you...

Squirrel Performance

btw...stay as close to the island as possible. a little to the right or left will be fine but you dont want to go to far out of it's effiency.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd just do 3". Leave yourself some room for growth. With a .63 a/r your gonna spool pretty good to begin with. What rwhp are you shooting for?

My pick for these engine would be a 60-1 (assuming your gonna shoot for 500 bhp) which should put you close to 450rwhp
I want 450-500bhp, stock internals.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd just do 3". Leave yourself some room for growth. With a .63 a/r your gonna spool pretty good to begin with. What rwhp are you shooting for?

My pick for these engine would be a 60-1 (assuming your gonna shoot for 500 bhp) which should put you close to 450rwhp
The 60-1 would be a great choice. Thanks.

Man do I have a lot of questions. I am pretty new to custom turbo setups, my buddy Josh is not, but he isn't readily available at the moment.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I appreciate the help! How does my selection look like on the Squirel Performance link. I wasn't sure about peak rpm and min boost levels.
Dont worry about the boost levels on the map. Boost is just a measurement of restriction.

Also, have you thought about a remote mount setup? If not check out sts turbo's setup.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
How much is this going to run you, because turbo is the only way I really wanna go if I decide to do that.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another good one if your wanting to go hi-tech is pte's line of billett turbo's. 5857(450rwhp), 6061(550rwhp), or 6262(600rwhp). Also check out some of the sport compact turbo's they have.
Cool. You know where I can grab some aluminum piping for the intercooler at a good price? Josh is builds race cars and told me to go on ebay and search industrial or something, but I came up blank.

http://www.fastwayracer.com/product_info.php?products_id=739
Here is a intercooler kit.
http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-strse-463/Detail
Another one.

I am building this on a budget. The point of me building it is so I don't have to pay $6k...

Also I get some brands 20% off like Vortec and a few other, Borg Warner, etc.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dont worry about the boost levels on the map. Boost is just a measurement of restriction.

Also, have you thought about a remote mount setup? If not check out sts turbo's setup.
Yeah STS turbo systems are badass, but my buddy Josh can build me whatever and he wants a bigger single turbo coventional set up, sitting right near the headlamps or the front of the motor.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much is this going to run you, because turbo is the only way I really wanna go if I decide to do that.
About $1500. Zero labor. I'll probably have to add $500 to that for a dyno tune. We were just going to data log it and adjust with a PC.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
So if someone like me wanted to keep the stang and add a turbo I would be looking at 2000-3000?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
When I was building kits I got all my piping from RacePartSolutions - Fast Parts At Discount Prices

All their stuff is quality and imo worth paying a little extra. I used their vbands and ebay vbands and by far rps's are the best. Even their piping is about the best your gonna get, it's fairlly thick and easy to weld compared to ebay junk.

op, your looking to spend around $3000 for everything said and done doing the work yourself. Fuel, tune, turbo,wg, hot/cold piping, oil lines, etc. It can be done cheaper if you shop for deals and buy some parts used.

Another good turbo if your on a budget is masterpower. They are the real deal.

As for your oil feed, check to see where your oil pressure sensor is located and tap into that. Thats what us older 3.8's do anyways.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts