Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just installed new tail light bulbs into my car, they're the LED configuration bulbs from here: 2 WHITE 3157 V-LEDS M-SMT 27 LED PARKING LIGHT BULBS 3156 4057

I've had a splice in sequential tail light module on the car since the day I bought her, and it's always worked great with normal bulbs. With the LED bulbs though, something funky is happening:

Hazards work perfectly normal, but when I use the turn signals, the blinkers just go into strobe mode... it's weird, here's a video:

Any help or pointers are appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
maybe you need a different blinker relay. Do the blinkers blink fast in mustangs when the relays detects an open = bad buld? (i don't know)

i'm not familiar with the seq. tail light devices, but going from a regular 'bulb' to an LED setup will change the current draw/demand on the device to light up whatever 'light source'. I do know that LEDs that are 'pulsed' at a faster frequency (albeit I doubt the on/off diff. between hazards and blinkers are that different) can eat much more current,,,verses being on continously.

so my newb guesses are either:
1. Blinker relay hates your LEDs
2. Seq. device hates your LEDs

I guess you could undo the seq. device (remove it from the ckt - if it's not too big a pita), and see if the car reacts the same, or it's normal.

...or someone else will have the right answer :)

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My suggestion would be to go back to regular bulbs.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
lovely music! lol... yeah its acting like a bulb is bad. So its something to do with recognizing those bulbs. Put the stockers back in.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
asiansensation.... arent you my friend on ps3? is that you or no?

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
bulb is bad same thing happend when i installed my sequentials last week

·
Registered
118 Posts
^True. I didn't realize the price on the ones I listed, I just found a quick example of what to get for the OP. I paid about $1.00 for mine.lol

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
i didnt see that they were led's idk might be different than mine :dunno

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Lol @ music.

OP- I'm interested in seeing what those leds look like in the light. Never seen them before. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Reactions: asiansensation78

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
didn't work...
The orange/blue wire correlates to the right turn signal, the resistor gets hot when I turn the turn signal on, but they're still strobing.
I have a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor wired parallel to the turn signal wire and ground wire. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
it is supposed to be in series

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
putting in parallel will screw with the overall 'load' resistance (res. of your lights, and the resistor put together). Not knowing what the resistance of your lights are - you may have dropped the resistance considerably,,or not. (same principle when you wire up speakers in parallel if you're familiar)

Putting the resistor in series adds to the overall resistance, which is what it sounds like you want.

If it were me, myself, and I,,,,,I wouldn't put load resistors in. It'll work,,but they do get hot, and I'm not a fan of that :) (elec. engineer by trade - who just burned himself the other day on some load resistors!) I would think someone makes a blinker relay that's meant to be run with LED lights. That'd be my route - to each his own.

Or grab a voltmeter with current reader,,put it in series with the bulbs, then LEDs, and determine what the current difference is. Tell me what you read, and I'll tell you what resistances you'll need to get it back to stock.

Reactions: asiansensation78

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm... that was my first thought but I never found any online resources for a electronic replacement relay for the mustang. Most of the ones I've come across looks to be as mechanical.

What do you do as an electrical engineer? I'm in school for aerospace :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
my degree is in electronics engineering -
I do pretty much everything cool every engineer ever wanted to do :) I work for an industrial test and automation integration/custom solution provider.
We do work for all sectors of industry, and all branches of the military. We do all kinds of sensors for the big3 auto makers too. Small company,,just a handful of us,,but we're all engineers.

I don't do design/cad/any drafting, but I do physically build the machines we make,,,then wire them out (pneumatics too), and then I do all the programming (motion, robotics, vision, etc..). Then when it's time to ship, I bust out the wood saw and drill, and make big ass custom crates for shipping.

FL's a great state for an Aerospace career - lots of opp. here in S.FL, and especially up in Orlando near NASA. I'm up in Boca, but get down to Miami about once a week (Brickell Key).

--sorry i couldn't point you to the part you need - i'm getting familiar with the stang world myself as a new owner :)

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey it's working guys, and it looks good in the day, I replace the flasher relay with a solid state electronic one as ZenMGT suggested. With LEDs there's no waiting for the bulb to warm up or cool down so the sequentials look a lot better. Thanks for the input!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts