Modded Mustang Forums banner

My XJ Updated!

4K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  sickfox 
#1 ·
Here is a reminder of when I first got her. This was when she was still in the PO's possession.

Some baby flex on the text drive.

Then some newer not much changed photos. Also not the saggy rear. :(

Ended up not putting these tires and rims on. Sold them two months later.

In the mountains of NC covered in snow.

Added rear shackles but they were still saggin in this pic. (I did have alot of weight in right before the pic) Also with the soft 8's and 32 BGF AT's

Continued..

See less See more
#2 ·
I then added some 5" lights to replace the dinky fogs that were on there.

Lights off

Lights on

I went ot the JY to find some vents, looked and looked and looked, took me about a hour and a half in the rain before I went searching through all the known vents i wanted. Then seen these off a z34 lumina.

The I decided to paint my mirrors flat black.

Then I took off the flares and trimmed the pass front fender.

Both sides are done. lol Same things on other side.

I took the rear flares off and trimmed some rot of the bottom of the quarters. Gonna get armor and tube fenders on them connected between the bumpers and rock sliders.

And this is how it sits today.

Some more baby flex, with all sway bars on.

I have a bumper on order just waiting for it now. Then a winch, armor, rear bumper and sliders, roof rack, more lights front and back, then lockers and axle upgrade.

#5 ·
The best part is, I havent really spent much out of my pocket. :D

And the weather has been crap (you know that tho) So it will really start moving now.

#6 ·
yea, I am about to sell the ZJ personally. need to get rid of it. My brother bought a 96 GT and he needs to sell the ZJ to recoup me for the $2500 I spent on it.

Just looking to offload the ZJ for $2500. I kow it is worth about a grand or so more. Looking for a short sale. I need some mod money for the SVO. The XJ is sticking around for now.

#7 ·
Good choice. Both the svo and XJ are very useful in there own aspect. :)

Hell I fit 2 17" wheels, a set of 17" tires and a dishwasher in my xj haha and still had some room!

#15 ·
Oh, I thought there was another reason I didnt know about. lol

Nah 35's is the number that you can start to worry. Some people run them and never have a problem and some people have no luck. I guess it depends on how hard you are on it. I know someone running 35's or 37's on a stock welded rear with no problem for over a year! :lol

I figured ill run the 35 till it breaks then upgrade to a 8.25 or 44 or what ever else a deal is when that time comes. But most likely will be a 8.25 because I dont wanna get much biger then 32's/33's for stuffing purposes.

I guess Ill find out >:)

#16 ·
sickfox is right, unless you have a more powerful motor or beat on the car all the time on trails then it gets a little blurry.

Your's reminds me of my old XJ. It was a 97 that I got for $800 and never should have sold. I still miss it and should have fixed it up.

#17 ·
sickfox is right, unless you have a more powerful motor or beat on the car all the time on trails then it gets a little blurry.
That's all I was saying. Once you get in the 32+ range, things start to get blurry (from everything I've read). Some axles will hold while others will break.

Like I said, it's about the same as putting 400hp on the stock bottom end of a mod motor. I know Unix had his hold for a LONG time. But there's also others that pop real quick.

I don't see that there's any right or wrong in this situation. It's all about how much risk one wants to take on the stock axles. I was just wondering if he had the stock axles or not.

#20 ·
I always run stock until it breaks, cause then you have an excuse to upgrade! A lot depends on how you drive and if you leave the diffs open or not. I have open diffs in my 1978 F-150 running 35's and 33's ( I trade them out depending what I want) and I have blown up my 9" rear twice (open diff) front Dana 44 shafts, hubs, joints, 205 transfercase output yokes. **** breaks, just the way it is, I don't even beat on my stuff, much. But the 460 probably doesn't help;)

#22 ·
haha the 460 definitely dont help! lol

Im actually picking up a c8.25 with 27 spline tho this weekend. It is enough stronger then my 35 for now, then eventually ill upgrade to a 29 and all the heavy duty crap, lockers and what not.

It will probably get trussed also. But before I swap it it im gonna clean it up nice, paint it and add some protection to the diff cover.

#28 ·
Thanks for the info, but a c8.25 29 spline is almost as strong as a d44 and they are not that hard to find. I know enough about what can be used in certain applications so it should work for me. I will be replacing my d35 with a 27 spline c8.25 because it gains a lot over the 35. The d35 is a mistake, besides to not upgrade to a 27 spline for 30$ is retarded. When I upgrade it ill have all 29 spline stuff anyways. So why spend the extra on anything else when when all is said and done it will be stronger then all the others mentioned.

I personally dont to alot of rocks, but its the people I know that are doing it. So its not something thats made up I see it myself, maybe its just that they have been lucky. Who knows, I wont be going to 35's tho lol

PS. I wouldn't go 8.8 I would go 9 if I was going there. Maybe later tho :dunno since Im never done.

Edited this!

#30 ·
lol well you didnt mention the 30$ part, for that i would do the same thing.
and im not trying to say you dont know your stuff im sure you do, i was just giving some friendly advice.
but imo the 8.8 is better than the 9 just because its the correct size basically, whereas a 9 would need to be cut down because they are full size axles.
also i could be incorrect, but iirc you to upgrade to 29 splines you would need a new carrier and everything, at which point you would probably be better off just getting a new axle but i could be incorrect on that one.

#29 ·
OH yeah, I was planning on doing the brake booster mod also. So no disks in the rear yet. But I could grab some and to the swap but I will just wait to see where my build goes. Because we all know its always changing.

#31 ·
Even though the 8.8 is made in a size to fit relatively easy it is far surpassed by the 9" in strength and design. Plus the 9" is one of if not The most supported axle ever for aftermarket and you could easily get one to fit for not much $. No C-clips means no wheels falling off! Even when it's internally grenaded, I know I've drove mine f-d twice and made it home on the front axle. I think the 29 spline 8.25 is a good cheap and easy choice for now. I like to use what I got til a breakage forces an upgrade

#34 ·
Nice! I want to get mine airborn so bad haha. Yeah Im adding the d rings, stinger and a winch. Oh and bed lining it.

#38 ·
Its cool! :)

Dang I can't believe you set that on your stang with nothing to protect it??!!! I sure as **** wouldn't set it on my truck like that!! Looks like a solid bumper though.
Yeah I was excited about the bumper and my garage is stuffed. (needs after winter cleaning) Its in my living room now. :) But I also have to do some body work/paint on the stang so I wasnt so worried about it. :\

Ill also be selling is soon.

#37 ·
Dang I can't believe you set that on your stang with nothing to protect it??!!! I sure as **** wouldn't set it on my truck like that!! Looks like a solid bumper though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.