Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started when I picked the car up a few months ago and performed the first oil change. At about 120,000, I drained the oil and from the pan and filter, pulled maybe 2.5 qts of oil. That may sound horrifying, but it confused me more than anything due to the lack of any noticeable signs of oil loss. I tend to run my car pretty hard and mixing that with low oil is just a bad combination, to say the least. Anyway, changed the oil and added maybe 5 qts. Well, the next time I changed the oil the same happened again, only pulled 2 or 3 qts. Mind you, I haven't gone over 3000 miles between changes, more often it has been closer to 2800 miles. I eventually began to add 6 qts after reading about the size of the oil pan and learning that the pan could handle it with no ill effects; I figured it was good insurance for hotrodding around. The car has NEVER left a drip of oil wherever its been parked. No parts of the undercarriage are wet in oil and no blue or white smoke has EVER come from the exhaust. I've also never smelled any oil burning. Since then, I've been adding oil every now and then, maybe a quart every 1000 miles or so, maybe more. I took a look in the valley today and noticed a shiny, possibly wet film beneath the intake manifold. Since its been dry lately, I'm assuming its some fresh fluid. Anyway, I'm dumbfounded. No signs of burning oil and no signs of a major leak, yet it would seem that I'm losing A LOT of oil. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss. Thanks in advance for the replies, you guys are great.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Just a guess here, but could you be getting small amounts of oil past the piston rings, not enough to see smoke, but enough to consume a lot of oil?

What color is your coolant and oil?
Ever had milky oil?

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a guess here, but could you be getting small amounts of oil past the piston rings, not enough to see smoke, but enough to consume a lot of oil?

What color is your coolant and oil?
Ever had milky oil?
Honestly, this is the best I can come up with. It just baffles me that this much oil is being "burned" and no smoke or smell is emitted. Oil looks dark brown when it comes out (I run synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30.) Coolant is green like it should be, but I'll check again later and maybe find something to dip down in the valley to see what kind of fluid is down there or if its just corrosion.

Out of curiosity, how often do you change your oil, how much drains out, and what does it look like compared to the fresh oil you put in? Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Hmm maybe it leaks when you drive it? Have gone to a mechanic yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nah, I'm gonna figure this one out myself. Car runs fine and topping off the oil is no biggy. You would think I would have some blowback on the trans or differential or SOMETHING if it was leaking when driving. Or maybe leave some drips after I park, but I've got nothing. It's like someone's syphoning that ****:bash:

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Honestly, this is the best I can come up with. It just baffles me that this much oil is being "burned" and no smoke or smell is emitted. Oil looks dark brown when it comes out (I run synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30.) Coolant is green like it should be, but I'll check again later and maybe find something to dip down in the valley to see what kind of fluid is down there or if its just corrosion.

Out of curiosity, how often do you change your oil, how much drains out, and what does it look like compared to the fresh oil you put in? Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------
5k miles, I don't really measure the drained oil accurately because I am putting it into a barrel that my brother got from work. It looks just dark dark brown, some glittery particles in it that I see when pouring it.

I usually check my oil whenever I fill up my gas tank. I might burn/leak 1/2-1 quart per 5k miles.

crawl up under the car and check to see if you have caked on dirt and grime on the trans and around the edges of the oil pan.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
At one time a quart every 1000 miles was considered a tight motor. I run 6 quarts of Mobile 1 full-synthetic 0w30. My car has 172,000 miles. I change oil every 5,000 miles in all my vehicles. When drained the oil comes out dark. It uses maybe a quart of oil every 3000 miles.

At this point I would recommend you just check your oil frequently and add oil when necessary. If its not dripping oil on the ground and not puffing blue smoke out the tail pipes then I wouldn't go through the expense of rebuilding the motor.

You might try going to a 5w40 oil to see if that makes a difference.

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a lot of **** to do today and no jack or stands here at school so it's gonna be tough to get up under the car and look before this weekend. But thanks for the advice, that's exactly where I'll look. Also, that's exactly how my oil looks too, minus the metal flakes, I really don't see much of them at all.

And I agree with you there, a rebuild with no serious problems such as leaks or burning significant amounts of oil is ridiculous. I'll just have to keep my eye on that oil and see if I can find any culprits for my missing oil.

I've read these cars have a tendency to leak through the head gasket. But do they ever leak through the valve covers? I'd think both of these would cause blue smoke and drips on the ground, however, I'm out of ideas.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

At one time a quart every 1000 miles was considered a tight motor. I run 6 quarts of Mobile 1 full-synthetic 0w30. My car has 172,000 miles. I change oil every 5,000 miles in all my vehicles. When drained the oil comes out dark. It uses maybe a quart of oil every 3000 miles.

At this point I would recommend you just check your oil frequently and add oil when necessary. If its not dripping oil on the ground and not puffing blue smoke out the tail pipes then I wouldn't go through the expense of rebuilding the motor.

You might try going to a 5w40 oil to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the info. As long as its not churning out blue smoke and stinking like burned oil in the car, I guess I should be happy. But the perfectionist inside me tells me there's a good reason why I'm losing this "more than anverage" amount of oil, I just can't figure out what it is. Hopefully some of you guys can share your experience with me and lead me in the right direction. I appreciate all of the replies. Reps too!

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a leakdown test. Rings are probably getting worn out.
Forgive my lack of knowledge and experience, but what's involved with a leak down test? I'm sure I could look it up, but give me the gist of it. :dunce:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
mines leaking a little out of the rear main seal and i plan on fixing that when i inevitably end up having to do my clutch but it doesnt drip i only noticed it because i had a small splatter mark of oil on the under side of my hood lol, you could check also ive heard these engines can leak where the oil filter adapter bolts to the block but i would think there would be some oil on the underside of your hood from that also

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mines leaking a little out of the rear main seal and i plan on fixing that when i inevitably end up having to do my clutch but it doesnt drip i only noticed it because i had a small splatter mark of oil on the under side of my hood lol, you could check also ive heard these engines can leak where the oil filter adapter bolts to the block but i would think there would be some oil on the underside of your hood from that also
I'll have to take a look at that, thanks for the heads up.

On another note, how do you like your v3? Is it prety quiet or can you still hear the whistle pretty good? And how's the self-lubricating system? Just weighing my options between a v1 and v3, thanks man! Sweet car btw :drool:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
so far i love it it sounds pretty good i just added a powerpipe , tb plenum also the bypass is now blowthru instead, im not sure what made it louder but it is louder then it was last year before these parts. self contained is golden to me i think its a great option for a street car and the v2 and v3 should sound the same the v1 is louder because the gears are cut different but v2 and v3 are the newer more efficient models i believe. id take a v2 on a good used deal if you knew it was a good unit but if going new deffinately v3

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far i love it it sounds pretty good i just added a powerpipe , tb plenum also the bypass is now blowthru instead, im not sure what made it louder but it is louder then it was last year before these parts. self contained is golden to me i think its a great option for a street car and the v2 and v3 should sound the same the v1 is louder because the gears are cut different but v2 and v3 are the newer more efficient models i believe. id take a v2 on a good used deal if you knew it was a good unit but if going new deffinately v3
Sounds good man, yeah the v1 has straight cut gears vs. the helical cut gears in the v2 and v3. I'd definitely be looking for a used headunit, so probably a v1 or v2. I just love the loud whistle of the v1 and I'm sure I could pick one up relatively cheap. Thanks for the info!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Just some quick/easy checks to figure out where that oil is going-

1.) Pull some of your CCV hoses. See if there's a fair amount of oil going back into the intake.

2.) Pull a few spark plugs, maybe an oxygen sensor or two. Inspect for signs of oil fouling.

3.) If you suspect an area of leaking oil, clean it thoroughly and hit it with some white paint. This will make a leak VERY noticeable.

Also does the car sit a lot? Sometimes if its left sitting for awhile, that can allow the valve stem seals to leak a bit.

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just some quick/easy checks to figure out where that oil is going-

1.) Pull some of your CCV hoses. See if there's a fair amount of oil going back into the intake.

2.) Pull a few spark plugs, maybe an oxygen sensor or two. Inspect for signs of oil fouling.

3.) If you suspect an area of leaking oil, clean it thoroughly and hit it with some white paint. This will make a leak VERY noticeable.

Also does the car sit a lot? Sometimes if its left sitting for awhile, that can allow the valve stem seals to leak a bit.
Actually, the plugs were all replaced about a 1000 miles ago. Stock plugs at 128,000 miles were all fresh, not one sign of fouling. I'll have to check to see if some's getting into the intake, I just don't see how I wouldn't be getting some blue or white smoke. This weekend I plan to get under the car and do a real thorough inspection. The car used to sit for a mximum 2-3 weeks at a time, but now I get in it at least every other day since its back at school with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts