Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove to my hometown last night 400 miles away from home. At the end of my journey the car started bucking and fell flat on its face when I got into boost. I had the flashing CEL and it checked out to be #6 missing. I pulled the plug and inspected it, but it looked fine.

Am I right in thinking this is probably just a coil pack going bad?

Dave
_

2008 GT, On3 Performance Kit 8 PSI MPT70 Turbo

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
that would be a good start, you could just switch one from another cylinder and see if the code changes. Do it with both a coil and a plug at seperate times so you know the cause is

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
^^^ Be my first guess... Have you done anything out of ordinary with it lately? Any new upgrades or such?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
that would be a good start, you could just switch one from another cylinder and see if the code changes. Do it with both a coil and a plug at seperate times so you know the cause is
Exactly and it'll only take a few minutes of your time. I suspect that this is your issue if the plug looks good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The saga continues!

I swapped the coil from #6 to #5 right after I put the plug back in, and now the car runs great. I wonder if this could have been excess antiseize or something?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
everything got to die at some point, so it was the coil pack?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I knew what it was. All I did was swap cylinders with the supposedly bad coil pack and the problem went away completely

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
mabey a loose connection

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
The saga continues!

I swapped the coil from #6 to #5 right after I put the plug back in, and now the car runs great. I wonder if this could have been excess antiseize or something?
Either way I'm glad it's gone! But, just curious, why do you have anti-seize near the COP? You mean anti-seize at the tip of the plug that might have burned out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either way I'm glad it's gone! But, just curious, why do you have anti-seize near the COP? You mean anti-seize at the tip of the plug that might have burned out?
Lots of antiseize on the threads, some near the ground strap and electrode. I was thinking maybe it was causing them not to fire for some crazy reason.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
^ It could've. But that should've burned out the first time it started up. Maybe a few minutes later...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
^ It could've. But that should've burned out the first time it started up. Maybe a few minutes later...
If it's nickel anti seize like you're supposed to use than no it wouldn't of burned off right away. That's why they say don't get any near the electrode. I usually only coat 3/4 of the "barrel" for this exact reason.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Oh yeah, me too. I used this stuff. I just figured it would've burned off. Huh, I didn't know it would sustain that kind of heat...

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I noticed that stuff as well. Oh well, these plugs will be coming out next week anyways... Turbo is going in baby!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
dsmith i saw in the OP you have the on3 kit, how long have you had it and how do you like it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts