Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
N/A/engine rebuild?'s

still deciding on what i want to do with my 01 gt so want some opinions. If I was to do a n/a build for power and strengthned/beefed up motor what would I need to do it. and is it worth it hp gain wise? is their stroker kits for our 99-04 gt motors? just wanna see what you guys would suggest I do if I stay n/a for hp and reliability on my motor?hell even parts or options for higher than the suggested 10psi for the stock motor possibly in future? to handle the higher boost?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
this topic has recieved alot of attention lately (& rightly so IMO) but there are some things that I think have been forgotten in some of the other posts (they all got somewhat heated :D)

first & foremost, N/A is not for everyone.

the power is defenately there & the cost is do-able, but if your looking for instant gratification without giving up much in terms of time, tuning & drivability, it's not for you.

clearly set some goals for your build & see what you can & can't live with, also decide what you want to do with your car (ie. street/strip, d/d weekend cruiser, etc).

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
true so what should I upgrade or rebuild exactly to be able to handle more than the 8-10psi thats recomended for stock tops?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
forged shortblock. rods,pistons mainly and if you want to go over 600hp then upgrade the crank too. So forged rods, and pistons if you want to run higher boost for starters. Built blocks start at about $2200 already built and balanced ready for your heads and accessories to go on.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
who/where sells built blocks to handle more than 8-10psi? will the car run ok if the built block is installed on my gt till i get the supercharger installed?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
true so what should I upgrade or rebuild exactly to be able to handle more than the 8-10psi thats recomended for stock tops?
Do you plan on from the start just running more than what the stock block can handle? If so hunt for a built block and just start your build from there.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
who/where sells built blocks to handle more than 8-10psi? will the car run ok if the built block is installed on my gt till i get the supercharger installed?
Check those two links I just sent you like 2 posts up. And that built block without the blower on it should be just fine if you want to wait a bit to put the blower on I heard they need like a few hundred mile break in period anyway.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Just do cams and nitrous or cams heads n nitrous, that way you have the best of N/A and a power adder without costing an arm n a leg

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
would I need the shortblock or the longblock preferably to handle more boost/psi?
you would need the shortblock. Once you get the shortblock you put your heads,intake on it then you have the longblock. The shortblock is the block with the internals rods,piston, crank and the longs blocks are the shortblock with the heads already on it. If you have heads already which you do then you dont need a longblock. The longblock is basicly the complete engine without the ac, power steering etc on it already. Get the shortblock and get a shop or a mechanic you know to take the top end and everything off the top of your motor and put it on the shortblock. then you have a built block.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
To the op for the cost of everything im not gonna start or go through all of that crap again of n/a vs Forced Induction if you want to do some reading on that subject its WELL covered in the link I sent you in post #5 above.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
since numbers don't mean a whole lot, what are your REASONABLE et goals?

that is the best place to start if the build is biased towards the track.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lookin for 12's or 11's in the 1/4 so is a built forged shortblock with a supercharger lookin about right to acheive that?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
lookin for 12's or 11's in the 1/4 so is a built forged shortblock with a supercharger lookin about right?
a low boost well thought out car with a stock longblock can easily see high 11's.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I run a 14.4 now but thats also with a shot lsd still doin one wheel peels need it rebuilt. tcs on I know im a ahole for that and shitty sumi street tires. Casper what would I need to hit 11's feel free to reply with a list of mods lol

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
a low boost well thought out car with a stock longblock can easily see high 11's.
agreed it will take a bit of suspension work and some good tires. Which is what I need now. Tires.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts