Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple question of what the factory 4.6 3v motor will hold in whp?
I heard 500whp is about the limit and then rods need work. This correct?

·
Registered
691 Posts
ive seen people on here runnin 530 to the wheels with no issues. its all about your tune tho, without a good tune 500rwhp is dangerous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed!
Without a good tune, any power level can be dangerous for sure.
I was basically curious what people consider "conservative" or "safe" - sounded like 500 or so was the general consensus.
What's the weak point? Pistons? Rods? Crank? The block itself?
I was told its most commonly the rods let go and then usually take the block with them, but I'm curious to be sure.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Agreed!
Without a good tune, any power level can be dangerous for sure.
I was basically curious what people consider "conservative" or "safe" - sounded like 500 or so was the general consensus.
What's the weak point? Pistons? Rods? Crank? The block itself?
I was told its most commonly the rods let go and then usually take the block with them, but I'm curious to be sure.
Low 500's WITH A GOOD TUNE.

You can pop a motor at 300 with a crap tune.

Usually it is the rods...but with a crap tune and detonation, sometimes guys break piton ring lands, then the edges of the piston top come off...then disaster strikes and it is usually pretty quick and epic with lots of bent parts, and a this led to that is often not possible, with the block ventilated and the heads damaged and so forth.

See my sig? I am happy right there. I can make more easily, but the car feels good at 500, and I want it to last until I decide to go with a forged stroker and turn it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low 500's WITH A GOOD TUNE.

You can pop a motor at 300 with a crap tune.

Usually it is the rods...but with a crap tune and detonation, sometimes guys break piton ring lands, then the edges of the piston top come off...then disaster strikes and it is usually pretty quick and epic with lots of bent parts, and a this led to that is often not possible, with the block ventilated and the heads damaged and so forth.

See my sig? I am happy right there. I can make more easily, but the car feels good at 500, and I want it to last until I decide to go with a forged stroker and turn it up.
Makes sense. I plan on a TVS 2300 (edelbrock kit) - I'm gonna do the tuner kit, buy a smaller pulley right off the bat, throw in a walboro and 60lb'ers and a very good friend of mine is a very good local tuner so I'll have him tune it. I'd like to see 490ish and then throw meth on top with no additional timing and see if I can break 500, then leave it. Should be a very fun street car :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts