Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To give you a quick run through, me and a friend of mine are building a 4cyl mustang for a dirt track 1/3 mile. Needs to stay stock, what they can see anyway:D. Im looking to find a vendor or catolog that sells 4 cyl performance parts. Can any1 help?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Racer walsh or esslinger, race engineering also. All of them have web sites , good luck =) wish i had mine back !!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestions where I can find a 2.3L Ranger Cyl head? We got our motor out of a 79 turbo, but the head wont work since were not using the turbo. Ive heard thru the grapevine that the ranger head is better for performance anyway. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what class are you racing in ?? can you modify the head at all??? port polish ??
Racing in the Hornet Class. According to the rules, the car has to stay stock, however, there is not 1 car out there that is. As long as it looks stock, were ok. They wont take the time to go threw and spec our engine when they have bigger fish to fry in the modifieds and late mod cars.

Id like to do alittle work to the heads as well as a cam, but since we are starting from scratch, were on a limited budget since we have to put so much into the car just to put it on the track. Saftey gear, roll cage...etc. You get the idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
port and polish the head and get bigger valves , shave the head till you almost get into the intake bolts !!! get some good pistons( i ran ross in mine ), get a triple disc clutch if you can afford it. run an MSD(hide it under the dash). Install a brake proportioning valve~ you have to gut the stock one. helps getting into the corners~~~~ what kind of bank track are you running ?? flat or high bank> Their are two kind of racers winners and cheaters?!?!?!?! well not cheating just bending the rules !!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knw that one of the tracks is a banked corner. There is another one that I may run at but have never been there, but I beleve it is also banked.

The plan right now is to get the car ready to race. After were at that point we will start putting money into the motor. We still havent found one yet, all he has is 2.3 fuel injected engines. SO, if I can find one that is built already that isnt HUGE in price we may go that route. But 4 cyl motors arent easy to come buy, not like 302's anyway. The big problem is is that my budjet is our budget. He really isnt going to put that much $ into the car. But he is going to GIVE me anything that he has that can help. He just wants the advertising. He owns a Mustang salvage yard. So his financial priorities are else where, which I understand.

I guess there is a race swap meet this weekend not to far from me, so im going to head othere and hopefully find some of the things I need for next to nothing cost...steering wheel, seat, and what ever else I can get a good deal on.

Thanks for the help. If you come up with any more ideas, feel free to let me know. Its appriciated:rockon

·
Registered
84 Posts
make shure you build a safe car !!!! put your money into making it safe as possible ~ racing is fun but it is dangerous I have seen some pretty bad accidents been in a few myself ! talk to some of the other racers look at their cars if they don't care ,some are funny about that ......and just pa attention to what their are running .

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
To give you a quick run through, me and a friend of mine are building a 4cyl mustang for a dirt track 1/3 mile. Needs to stay stock, what they can see anyway:D. Im looking to find a vendor or catolog that sells 4 cyl performance parts. Can any1 help?
Race engineering Lake Worth Fl,561 533 5500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good luck to you man. i know exactly what you mean when you say you are SUPPOSED to be stock but noone is and noone checks. I used to run against stroker motors, trying racing those on a limited budget. I agree as well about shaving the heads, that's a biggy that noone cares about and I am sure you can swap the cam, I don't see how that's not allowed.

And the MSD with a rev limitor helps a lot, my car had the original box wired up but it only looked that way. Kept officals from even thinking about looking farther. I don't know about the port and polish job though, that's pretty easy to check for, we would clean them up but never mirror smooth.

Also have you found a parts car? Like anything from a wrecked pinto, mustang or ranger? I have a bunch of parts but I'm in NC. A parts racecar would be ideal but most have no more value than heavy paper weights.

Also don't most all heads work no matter fuel injection or turbo? I had a duel plug head once but that was about the only thing that wasn't usable for a circle track car. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh one more thing: when shaving the head I heard you were supposed to run studs in the lower intake bolt holes and once the were hit when shaving stop. This way you could go as low as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts