Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever read the carcraft issue that states 400 hp from a 302 with stock cam? Google"Ford 302 V8 Engine Buildup- Car Craft Magazine".
I want that 400 hp but I'm thinking about doing a cam over stock. I don't want it to be too lopey but I would like to get another 25-50 hp out of this motor. I'm sticking it in my 66 mustang coupe. Here's the ingredients:

Heads: Air Flow Research 165cc Equipped with 1.90/1.60-inch intake/exhaust valves pedestal-style
ARP head bolts and a new set of Fel-Pro head gaskets
Weiand dual-plane intake
Road Demon Jr. 625-cfm carburetor

I heard the e303 cams may be a good choice. Any recommendations? I need some guidance on this one. Thanks in advance - chris

·
Registered
678 Posts
AFR 165's with 1.90" valves won't get you 400, especially with the E-cam. Prolly more like a hair over 300.

I would stray away from AFR's all together. 400 at the flywheel may be possible out of a N/A 302 but you're gonna need a carefully planned/combined list of parts. You're most likely going to need high compression and a solid roller.

Contact a proffesional cam grinder with like 3 grand in hand. And I wouldn't believe or take to heart what you read in magazines.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I heard the e303 cams may be a good choice. Any recommendations?
Who ever told you that, don't listen to him anymore.

Go custom, and Trick Flow fast as cast heads seem to be very good choice from what i've read. A lot better than AFR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts