Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, some of you may have read of a noise I'm experiencing for the past 1-1/2 months or so. After a run down the drag strip awhile back, I noted some noise seemingly coming from the rear of my car. I made 4 passes that night, only one was hot-lapped. About 5-7 days later, I developed a noise. I thought it was coming from the rear at first, but am not 100% sure since I can't narrow it down. I could swerve left to right and the noise will change...left turns being quiet with NO noise under a hard turn, straightline being usual noise, and right turns making it somewhat more defined/louder. Braking has no effect on it, though I did make a VERY fast stop on the drag strip being I was a newb out there and turned into the FIRST exit past the finish line...scaring the crap out of everyone (hey, no one told me about that when I asked what to do!). Still, the brakes held up fine. Back to the noise, though, acceleration makes it more defined while coasting does not rid me of the noise, but it's severity seems decreased. I have changed both axle bearings (actually found one on left side had spun a little and marked the housing tube...emery cloth cleaned it up, though) and the front wheel hub assemblies (bearing starting to go a little on left side) in pursuit of the noise. While in the rear end, a visual of the pumpkin/axles seemed to indicate it was in good shape. Did not remove any of it, though. I also installed a new girdled cover (TA) with Royal Purple @ ~2.5 qts (increased 0.5 qts with new cover). I can't find anything loose, have not found tire rub, and am planning on checking brakes again on all corners to ensure I don't have problems there. I am running Powerslots all around with ceramic brakes/stock calipers up front, and semi-metallics (until I upgrade to ceramic) and stock calipers out back. I have also changed out the driveshaft, since I found grease at its CV joint, then at the carrier bearing slung all over the tunnel. Any ideas? All else I can think of is pinion bearing or brakes. Maybe I'm missing something here? Thanks for all your help, guys. Will let you know if I find something while under the car, but I'm really trying NOT to have someone else's hands on my car...I trust NO ONE in the area other than a friend of mine.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bad carrier bearings. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Never even saw this thread you should of bumped it every day I would have!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
And you didn't even describe what the noise sounds like...

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would the noise have mattered since no one replied? ;) My fault on that one, though I figured it out anyway. Got MUCH louder once I put the new UCA in (poly bushing). Grinding sound but like a poorly balanced tire mixed in. No shakes like a bad tire, but the on/off sound...hard to describe. Knew it was a bad bearing once the UCA was in and I could make it go away while under a hard left turn...sounds like the left side carrier bearing. Bought the whole bearing kit from AM along with the purple juice and the Track-Lok rebuild with carbon discs. No friction modifier needed with the Royal Purple 75w140. Should prove interesting since I have never done this before and can't get a hand with it. I will pre-measure the spacing on everything removed (bearing-wise) so I get the depth right. I think I'll keep my 3.55s in, though. I will do 4.10s when I stop using this as a DD.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh...had a heat-soaked motor from sitting in staging FOREVER waiting on other test-n-tune-ers, a bad exhaust leak at the passenger header due to a stripped stud (my help did that one, but it's now fixed), so can't give an accurate figure. It wasn't good, though. I should be running MUCH faster than I did. I was embarassed. Even with all the problems I beat my friend's '07 auto thanks to a hole-shot, heh. I ran a pathetic 9.63 to only get worse from the heat-soak issue (where everything is thoroughly soaked with heat, thus ruining performance). I CAN'T WAIT to fix my rear end and try 'er again. I now have the exhaust fixed, the new driveshaft in, new UCA and LCAs, underdrive pullies, and a more firm launch, so I'll have to make a pass soon after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts