Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found out that i wanna get into building high performance motors after i graduate. my boss told me if i wanna get into this and be good at it i need to study it and learn as much as possible. so as a result i got a job working in a racing shop and my boss told me i should pick up a engine blue printing book and some other stuff. anyway whats some good books i should pick up to read and study. i have knowledge of motors and stuff but i have no hands on expierence with building them or dismantling anythgin more than the intake or oil pan. im hoping to learn a ton and finding some good books. if you know of any please lend a hand!

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Books are good. I don't know of any as it's been years since I served my apprenticeship, part of which I also served in a speed shop. Many years ago.

Another good way to learn is to just take **** apart and do it.

If you have an old beater laying around that you don't use much, or you have a spare couple hundred bucks, buy one that runs. Haul the engine out of it, and tear it apart and rebuild it with basic new parts like rings, bearings, gaskets, timing chain, etc. Buy a book for whatever you do this to, and just take your time and learn as you go.

I rebuilt my first engine in my 1970 Cuda, a 383. I had no formal knowledge of rebuilding engines at that time. I just bought a book on the 383, pulled it out, and started taking it apart, making notes and labeling everything with masking tape and a magic marker as I went.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hands on learning is always better then reading. You will always pick up on it a whole lot faster.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i've never messed around with a rebuild or anything but i'd do the same, just take it apart and take my time. if i get another project car thats what i'll do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats kinda hat were doing now like im taking sutff apart and doing hands on leanring but you still need to know all the math behind it and firing orders and etc. thats kinda what im looking for

1 - 5 of 5 Posts