Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a mustang guy, and a ford guy above all, so I am a little lost restoring this el camino.

It is a 1984 conquista edition has a 305 engine that is shot, and a automatic transmission that was good when parked 10 years ago. I bought a running 1976 chevy caprice classic with a strong running 350 engine and auto tranny.

The easy way would be just swap motors and be done with it, that I can do. But I want to have this known good tranny from the caprice. The problem i just noticed while disconnecting parts, is that they are different trannys. The caprice tranny is about 6 inches longer.

My brain hurts and I cant figure out what needs to be done. engine and tranny from caprice, and use el camino driveshaft? Any ideas? The caprice will be junked when i am done

·
Registered
58 Posts
what kind of transmission was in the caprice? i think the elcamino has a 200r4 stock which is pretty weak. i have a small "shop" with another guy and hes got an 86 camino he swapped a 350 turbo in. he made a new crossmember then took his drive shaft to american driveline and had it shortened

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
You are correct on all counts. I think it was a 700r4 though but I know very little bout chevys. the caprice does have a 350 turbo. Ive never had a driveshaft shortened. Any tips?
I think what I will do (this weekend) is swap nothing but engines to keep it simple. leave the weak unknown condition tranny in the el camino. Hopefully it will work temporarily till I can research drive shaft modification, and Ill keep the 350 turbo handy for when the time comes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go ahead and swap both tranny and engine, any good drivshaft place should be able to shorten it for less then $100, also make sure that you don't need to use the slip yoke from the other shaft, I think you will. You can also shorten it by cutting off the yoke on a long lathe and cutting the tube of the shaft down to size, but you might get vibration if you don't have it balanced after putting the yoke back on. Depends on how well it is cut and welded.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the only thing you may not like about the 350 turbo is it doesnt have over drive :( but its much better than a 700r4 strengh wise. but fordman is right it shouldnt be any more than $100 to have it shortened

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well in that case, maybe I want the 700r4. The el camino is going to be for nothing more than hauling car parts (right now my 2004 convertible does that) So id be more inclined to keep the overdrive and just go easy on the gas

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you want some fuel mileage then I'd probably keep the OD, if your just running stock stuff or near stock then you won't have issue so long as you don't abuse it. Guess you could find a over/under drive and put is in with the T350, you'd have all kinds of high gears! And you'd be shortening the driveshaft anyhow.........

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to keep the 700r4 in it for now, but Ill stash the 350 in the garage for when the time comes I decide the el camino needs to go faster (it will happen and you know it!)

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
207 Posts
No prob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts