Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must have died and gone to heaven, the wife just informed me that she is getting me Hurst Competition Plus Short Throw Shifter for valentines day. Based on my shade tree mechanic status is this something I should be able to install on my own?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
:yes pretty easy for a shade treer'

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. it's been a good month, CAI with tune, 3.73 Gears and now the shifter. I think I got the MOD bug!!

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
you will need a 10mm deep socket to get the job done... everything else is pretty much ordinary... and doing it is easy... should take you about 2 hours to do it on some floor jacks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just be careful removing the forward mounting bolt - if you use a ratchet wrench it's really easy to back the bolt out and lock the wrench against the body. Don't ask me how I know this... And don't overtorque the linkage nut or it will be hard to shift. Also, be careful of the Hurst instructions as some of the older versions have the shifter block reversed. The shifter block should be lined up so that the shifter handle tilts backwards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put mine in a few weeks ago...after you get the car safely up on stands and the interior pieces away from the shifter...shouldnt take longer than 30- 40 minutes...very easy! I read somewhere about the shifter handle lining up backwards or the groves being on the wrong side when hooking the handle up....I believe where the shifter arm from the tranny hooks to the shifter this area can be turned so your handle will line up correctly and the grooves on the handle line up as well. Just turn it 180 either way. Just like the guy above me said...make sure you have the deep 10mm socket or you'll likely spend most of the day trying to get at those two nuts..

·
Registered
47 Posts
For valentines day, I'm hoping I'll get the Saleen S/C. I really don't think this is going to happen.. About 101% for sure on that! ..ha! Darn...........

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just be careful removing the forward mounting bolt - if you use a ratchet wrench it's really easy to back the bolt out and lock the wrench against the body. Don't ask me how I know this... And don't overtorque the linkage nut or it will be hard to shift. Also, be careful of the Hurst instructions as some of the older versions have the shifter block reversed. The shifter block should be lined up so that the shifter handle tilts backwards.
haha +1 same happened to me... i mean errr, i had a friend that exact thing happened to... extremely frustrating, and the lever wasn't working to reverse the ratchet, had to back the bolt in with little finger turns

·
Registered
106 Posts
you'll love it once it is in.... the difference in throw is incredible, mine went from a throw i didn't mind that much to a throw shorter than my dads X50 performance package porsche 911 Twin Turbo.. night and day

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I got Hurst for V-day also. i'll be putting it on this weekend. Is there anything else we need to install like extra products

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I'm getting after it this evening. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its fairly easy, You'll need a 10mm Deepwell socket as someone mentioned, and also a 13mm socket and wrench. I couldn't get a socket on the front mount bolt (not enough clearance between the bolt and the floor pan), so had to use a wrench. Also, when I went to reinstall my Hurst (I'd taken it out because it was making a thumping noise, wanted to be sure the dealer installed it correctly, still making the noise), I had trouble getting it back in through the opening in the tunnel. Turned out there is what I presume is a balance weight (a round disc about the size of a quarter and twice as thick) on the driveshaft that was in just the right spot to cause the shifter assembly to get stuck) I jacked up the rear and turned the wheels to move the driveshaft a little and once the weight was out of the way the assy. slid right in place. The hammered finish on the shifter had mostly flaked off by the time I got the thing back in. Also, there have been problems with the Hurst shifters' ball pivot having too much play, causing the thumping/rattling noise in certain rpm ranges, mine does it from ~2500 to 3500 rpm under hard acceleration, and the hotter the transmission gets the more pronounced the noise, so its probably a combination of the too loose ball pivot and the urethane bushings. According to Ford Racing Parts about three weeks ago, they were aware of the problem and are working with Hurst to correct it but have no new shifters yet. If your wife has found one at a dealer, its most likely one that might have this problem. Apparently they don't all have too much play in the pivot, but mine does and I've been going round and round with the dealer about finding out when I might get a replacement, and they almost laughed when I suggested a refund for the defective shifter. I had them put it in originally because its warranted if they install it.

Reactions: 07GT-CS and 07BlkGT
1 - 14 of 14 Posts