Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, Hi everyone! Like the site.
I recently bought a 97 GT auto. Car runs great. Previous owner had already installed CAI, O/R X-pipe, and Flowmasters. In the past week I have replaced the intake because the outlet for the heater hose had cracked and someone tried to fix it by using jb weld or something. I G-Techd the car Friday night and could not get out the hole without spinning some but ran 15.71 @ 91 mph first pass and 15.74 @ 94mph on the second pass. Well atleast she's consistent.... My buddy with a stock Dakota runs a 15.8 and is talking alot of smack!!!
I am new to these cars, all I have known is carbs,cam,heads, and gears..
What should my next mod be?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
welcome to the forums.

your Gears would be a great start followed shortly by a PI swap (heads,cams,intake)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, being an auto I am guessing 4.10s shouldnt be an overkill. As for the PI swap, this means Plastic Intake correct? Are we talking all aluminum or?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
even the PI intake is plastic for the most part. your talking about the aluminum crossover on it. and PI stands for "Performance Improved"

4:10's would be fine

·
Registered
82 Posts
pi swaps are great but if you are on more of a tight budget there are some things you can do to get some power with out having to do a whole lot of motor work, gears are definitely a good thing, but underdrive pulleys for $150-200, headers (shorties for around $300) and a chip (i've seem some for $250) would be a good improvement.
If you can do all your own motor work tho then i'd say go for the swap but for the guys like me who dont trust themselves enough to start ripping thing appart this is easier :)

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
4.10's...you already have an x pipe and catback, and CAI....get gears...maybe a tuner sct or diablo...i bet you could break into the 14's with practice

·
Registered
257 Posts
I recomend a good set of tires. Some drag radials would work great. A pi swap or nitrous are great choices.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am at 100ft above sea level. As for the Gear, SOLD - 4.10’s all the way. Why not? I have a 4th gear right. I have a 79 Pace car 3spd and had original 2.73’s running 14.2’s, after changing to 4.10’s I am impressed but don’t have a time on it yet… So as for this 97 I bought it at the auction for cheap and love it! It is my new daily driver and don’t want a hot rod but would definitely like a mid 14sec daily commute. This is very respectable to me. So you guys really think pulleys, a tune, Gears of course, and tires will get me close to what I want? More info on the tuners PLEASE. Here is a pic if it worked…

·
Registered
590 Posts
My pi swap has cost me (so far) around $300 :D Just have to have the hookups, that's all.
If you're handy with a wrench I'd say pi intake and cams. Intake can be found for $200 at the most (new), cams for less if you get them used.

On a side note, hmusn that site is hideously ugly :puke

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found some pulleys, gonna get'm next payday, Working toward a set of 4.10 Motive gears next month. These Chips (and a chip (i've seem some for $250) posted above.. Anyone have one installed instead of the tuner? How do they perform and is it a good bang for the buck? I also found the intake I put on my car, Its a Dorman 615-178 is this a good intake?
Questions: Does a larger MAF make a difference in perfomance or is it more for a heavily modded car? I have been searching forums for all kinds of mods and do not see anything about upper intake plenums, are these a good mod? Sorry for all the questions but you don't learn if you dont ask... Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(G-tech only which mine doesn't show 60') but I'm pretty sure it would be somewhere around 2.2-2.6sec.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can anyone help me with the my last questions?
Thanks..

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
upper plenum is moreless a complement mod IMO. it will compliment other things later down the road, but now, not gonna do much for ya.

MY opinion. Drive the 97, keep sinking money in the pace car. four eyed foxes FTMFW!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts