Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a 100 mile trip today and only averaged 22 mpg. Didn't even go over 1600 rpms really for the whole trip. 55 mph on cruise control. Now I know the guy before me really didn't take good care of the car, and I know I need an oil change. Aside from that I'm going to change my fuel filter, and possibly spark plugs. Well I will for when I get a smaller pulley. Anything else you guys can think of for a small tune up to get her running the way she's supposed to again with better mpg? Tires all had good air pressure in them.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
good luck with the fuel filter:D its really not that bad its just not easily accessible. Other then what you mentioned might I add a new air filter:shiftyeyes :)

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Make sure the plugs are good. That's a big one.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a feeling they aren't. it takes a little longer for the car to start but everything is ok. And when it does start it like an old man standing up it starts slow then its good to go.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Do a fuel induction service.
Clean or replace the air filter.
Change the plugs. I use Autolite AR103 on the stock pulley and AR94 with the 2.8
Do you have a good alignment on the car?

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need an alignment done.

I'm planning on getting a smaller pulley soon so should I go ahead and get the colder spark plugs, and will they be ok to run on the stock tune?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Yeah they should be fine, especially if you jump on it often.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok just wanted to make sure before I got them. I'm planing on changing the plugs, the fuel filter, getting the JLT carbon fiber rai(I'd rather do that then get a filter), and I'm going to change the oil today.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Cricket, what gear where you in to do 55? What rpm? With my stock gears, my mileage at 55-60 is considerably worse than at 70-75.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try it sometime, but I can tell you...everything I am replacing...needs to be. The guy who owned it before me...did not take care of the car at all.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Try that same trip and if you can try and run the car at around 2k rpm, 1600 is lugging the the motor a little bit.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stay off the loud pedal...but also mine is stock performance wise. My filter is absolutely filthy, and just found out my MAF housing is cracking by the bolt holes. Guy tightened it way too much around the filter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
stay off the loud pedal...but also mine is stock performance wise. My filter is absolutely filthy, and just found out my MAF housing is cracking by the bolt holes. Guy tightened it way too much around the filter.
dirty filter and un metered air through your cracked MAF housing is the best combo for good MPGs

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep. I'm gonna replace them both.

After I replace those, and my rotors and pads. I should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts