Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, finally getting a new t-45 transmission put in. me and 2 other mechanics are going to install the tranny among other things such as: basically redoing the l/t headers (**** me lol), steeda underdrive pullies, mgw short shifter, new pilot and throw out bearing, and last but not least-poly transmission and motor mounts. We have all day and night friday and saturday.
Do you guys have any advice, or do you recommend any tools that are a good to have for the work ahead?
Sweet2k I hope you can some me some advice with this tranny I know you've done it numerous times.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
long extensions and swivel sockets, impact gun (not necessity but nice), a nice jack to help holding the trans up getting it back in, Pilot-bearking removal tool (again, not necessity but saves time and can be rented), and a lot of patience

the higher you can get the car in the air, the better... and draining the old trans before pulling it out helps with having less mess... i learned that quickly

there is definately more to it, but thats all i can think of right off that were really helpful for me

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah got air tools, impact gun all that jazz. and ill certainly drain before putting it in lol.

anything else? i know you guys are around....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
... and draining the old trans before pulling it out helps with having less mess... i learned that quickly

+1 easy to forget...lol when you let the tranny flex down it will dump out the tail shaft seal.

remove the starter bolts asap...throw the one that is a bitch to get out away...melt it for all i care you dont need it and after you get it out you will never want to see it again. as for the pilot bearing, a slide hammer with a seal puller attacment works awesome. replace the tailshaft seal while you are there. take out the top 2 transmission bolts first.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
workinprogress;948637remove the starter bolts asap...throw the one that is a bitch to get out away...melt it for all i care you dont need it and after you get it out you will never want to see it again. [/quote said:
Most definatly! Starter has a nice pocket to sit in, so its not like the bolts are holding it up...F that bolt!!!! Why would i need a 12"+ extension just to get a damn starter bolt off! Yeah it was probably designed that way for a reason, but f it...not worth putting back in.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good info guys keep it coming, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks dude :yourock

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
long extensions, 13mm swivel socket, 13mm wrench, 13mm deep socket, 10 mm deep socket, 15mm socket, 1 pry bar, i think cable cover is 3/8 cant remember, 7/8 wrench for o2's, what ever size socket for mid pipe removal, 12mm 12-point wrench for d/s. thats just for the underside.

i believe 10mm sockets for shifter, 1/2 for shifter handle (mine is a tri-ax)

not sure what size your header bolts are, but mine are 12mm i believe. short handle wrench, long handle rench, racheting one is nice, shallow socket, and a swivel is nice as well.

i recommend raising the motor on the passenger side to pull the motor mount out if possible. it helps with slack to get to bolts and clearence to get trans out. i am going to just start pulling the passenger side header off if i have to keep doing mine.

thats what the tool list that i can remember off the top of my head. me and doc can r&r and drive a t45 mustang in 3hrs with shorty's. lt's are a little longer, but take around 4.5-5 hours.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
sweet2k those are the details that will make this much easier! same with workin, thanks guys! rep for both of you guys! real shocker you as well lol im feeling charitable!

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
:hug:drink i will be working on machboys intake tomorrow afternoon. i will try to pop in from time to time if you need more help. you can shoot me a pm if need be, or shoot one to doc8224. he is the one that helps me do mine, and we are always hangin out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts