Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I live in a townhome on the second floor. The lady below me has been complaining that water has been leaking onto her wood cabinets in her kitchen causing it to crumble. Her kitchen is located directly under my master shower. Upon inspection, we found the caulking around my master bathtub was cracking and even missing in areas. The problem is there is a corner of the tub that is caving down a bit causing a low spot where water will pool and sit. It's a large, jacuzzi type bathtub with large corners (See picture below).

My property manager's daughter, whom is not a certified plumber, came in and redid the caulking around the entire tub. She used the cheapest caulk you can find, acrylic, and from what I read online, will not set right in high moisture areas. We let the caulk sit for 24 hours - showing in our secondary bathroom for a day.

When we showered in there the next day, where the water pools the caulk got soft and started washing away. Anywhere the water pools up, the caulk washed away.

After doing my research online and found cheap caulk won't set right in some applications(acrylic caulk), I went out and bought "GE Silicone II bathroom caulk" as I read this stuff will set no matter what. After redoing the caulk in the tub with this stuff and allowing it to set for 24 hrs, low and behold it's holding up to even the pooling water and everything is staying contained... and been like this after a week+ now!

What ticks me off is my property manager left a letter in my door claiming further damage after the recaulking job her daughter did is from me running the shower prior to the caulk curing fully. I want to send her a bill for me recaulking the bathtub the right way!

My question is, can anyone who is qualified or knows much about this confirm what I've wrote above? I want to show her these facts and learn her a little something about cheap caulk versus quality caulk.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Silicone is great for in the tub area, but is a PITA to clean up..

Latex caulk works very good too, and is very easy to clean up with water, and a sponge or paper towel.

Silicone will last longer, and if its a area where water pools up, then go with the silicone.

Be sure that the area is clean before you apply either product, it doesn't hurt to use an alcohol swab.

Good luck,
Im no plumbing expert, but I have done a lot of remodel work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
our apartments are all one level but we only use latex tub and tile. if there was a bigger problem, it might require a different type of fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts