Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I blew third in the tr3650 I was using and I'm not able to buy the transmission I need until next winter and I need the car this year.

The original T45 that came in the car is still sitting in my garage. The only problem it had was a squeaking sound that came when I released the gas. As soon as I gave it just a little gas the sound went away.

After I removed it I thought I could hear something if I applied a little lateral pressure on the input shaft and turned it by hand.

There was a very slight amount of lateral play in the shaft. I think the only thing it might need is a bearing for the input shaft. The tranny only had about 70k on it. I guess there's a slight possibility it could have been a bad pilot bearing. I know it wasn't the throwout bearing because it would have made the noise all the time.

Basically I was wondering how hard it would be to change the front shaft bearing on a t45? This is just a band aid fix until I can afford either a used T56 or a built TR3650. I won't even bother changing the clutch until winter. Just slap it in there and add fluid. I even thought about putting it in without doing anything to it. Even if it went it wouldn't cost me anything more than some fluid and my elbow grease. The squeak is annoying although it's not very loud.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows how difficult it is to change the bearings on the input shaft of a T45?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just throw it in there. Can't run with a completely blown trans. Plus the t45 shifts smoother.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just throw it in there. Can't run with a completely blown trans. Plus the t45 shifts smoother.
If it's not to diffucult I would like to change the bearing on the input shaft to get rid of the squeak.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ask this same question at two other forums and for some reason I haven't received many posts. I guess people just toss them when they go lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is true. Lol they are disposable.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
What about upgrading to a 26 spline input shaft? I know you would need a new clutch disc, but it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to fix the noisy bearing and run it until next income tax time. Then buy either a used T56 or a Promotion TR3650 rated at 750rwhp.

Does anyone know how hard it is to change the bearings on the input shaft of a T45?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Call Pro Motion Trans in Florida and speak to them. They are trans gurus and will sell you whatever parts you need for the replacement or upgrade. He'll probably diagnose the problem over the phone as well.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I removed the old trans with the lt's still installed it wasn't easy lol.:eek: Still deciding on which direction I'm going.:confused:

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
ive been told also that it requires it to be completely disassembled to do so.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
The trans shop I asked to see if they could fix my T45's input shaft said that it would require an entire dis-assembly and rebuild. I just discarded it instead. You can likely find a new, built T45 for just slightly more than a rebuild would cost...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts